[Hpn] Re: We campers face ....

Tent City tentcitypdx@yahoo.com
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 12:21:20 -0800 (PST)

Greetings, Becky Johnson, and thank you for the email
addresses of those wonderful council members and
especially for the one of your so-called Green mayor,
Tim Fitzmaurice. We know that Mayor Fitzmaurice has
touched base with the City here and asked for advice
about how to deal with Santa Cruz' one tentcity Camp
Paradise, and we're working on a response from Dignity
here in conjunction with, hopefully, the local Green
Party and the City here.

We agree with environmentalists that public land
should be used for polo ponies and joggers and also
for people to walk their dogs on, for recreational
camping and for picnicking. But we feel that public
land should be used by all members of the public
including we homeless people. Exclusions from said
land based on the status and condition of being
homeless are discriminatory and wrong. We see nothing
wrong with our brothers and sisters forming up Camp
Paradise and living in a safe, clean community as
opposed to the traditional scattered-site camping on
public land with all the attendant problems of lack of
proper sanitation, litter, et cetera. What we in
Dignity hope eventually to do is mesh habitat and
habitation in way that will benefit the environment,
to create a green, sustainable, urban village.

We ask for stats and facts about the situation in
Santa Cruz, we want to know why Camp Paradise isn't on
the City Council agenda this Thursday and what that
will mean for Camp Paradise. We welcome any
information or input that will be useful.

Please pass on to Larry Templeton, Kris F, Carl
Wilson, Cookie, Squirell, and all Paradise crew our
solidarity, love and respect. We know all about stress
under the threat of closure and brutalization by the
police from our last move to Sunderland Yard and we
sympathize with what Paradise is going through in this
time.

Unity, love and respect.
Jack Tafari.

=== message truncated ===