[Hpn] Gimme Shelter

wtinker wtinker@metrocast.net
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 23:11:22 -0500

From:Cindy Carlson under_the_bridgeproject@juno.com
Thanks Cindy for this information!
A Brother
Bill
We Just came back from Capital building in Concord NH. It's pretty cold
 out there. Gimme Shelter is a sleep out on the state house steps to
 create media and public awareness of the growing hoimeless population.
 And Under The Bridge helped organize with AFSC. Under The Bridge members
 Loree, Cindy and April spoke about their experiences with homelessness
 and Jamie filmed for Manchester community access TV.
 The group was really small this year, mostly a group of nurses from one
 of the hospitals and student nurses who wanted to find out about the
 "culture" of the homeless and some younger students from American Friends
 Service Committee. I am sure there were a few things that contributed to
 the small turnout a crows of lass that 30. Its cold outside. (As if the
 homeless dont sleep in the cold) Theres a lot of apathy out there.
 Everywhere.
 There were many homeless and formerly people that were there or stopped
 by
 Randy G, Mark, and Chief stopped by. on their way to the camp to get
 warm. Ray aka Razor stayed and told his story to the gathering talking
 about how hard it is to live outside: no one will hire you without an
 address and you cant get an address without a job.
 Loree spoke about how she was homeless 7 years ago and is now fighting
 her landlord over an eviction, because he doesnt want to take her section
 8 anymore.
 Beth stopped by and talked about her boyfriend that died in a tent fire
 many years ago, but not forgotten.
 April, who is currently homeless couldnt get up the nerve to go to the
 microphone but stated later that she felt very angry being there.
 Jodi wright who is on the board of NCH spoke about her experiences with
 her human family and how can we continue to treat anyone in the manner
 that the homeless are treated.
 George S. and his girlfriend Donna stopped by and spoke, they live in
 their van in Conway.
 And me, I ran my mouth a lot, because thats what I do, Not only do I have
 my own story to tell but UTB collects many stories and we share them.
 UTB was invited to Rivera College and details will be set later.

 Gimme Shelter is no more. We decided that if poeple dont want to help, or
 come or help support those who do come then there is no point in trying
 to do it again.
 There was not one person representing the NH Coalition to End
 Homelessness, other than me, And I went there as Under The Bridge- not
 the Coaltion.  There was no one there from any agency that is supposed to
 be helping the homeless.
 What does that say, its not in poor planning, they all knew about it.

 Martha AFSC thinks we will do Homeless Memorial Day on Dec. 21st. We will
 be out there even if the group is small because we have had too many
 homeless deaths and I,' tired of reading the names, but we will be there,
 will you?