[Hpn] New Colonist Update

New Colonist newcolonist@newcolonist.com
Fri, 09 Nov 2001 15:17:45 -0800

SPECIAL BULLETIN:

In a new report, doctors with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
(CDC) found several primary connections between suburban sprawl and public
health. Their findings include:

1. Increases in vehicle miles traveled has resulted in an increase in air
pollution and in the incidence of respiratory diseases.

2. Sedentary living habits contribute to poor health outcomes because they
are a significant factor in the incidence of overweight and obesity.

3. Lack of pedestrian friendly features in a community becomes a factor
leading to illness and even death.

4. Residential development can pose unique health and quality of life
hazards.

Find out more at http://www.newcolonist.com/newsbriefs.html

BY CITY:

If you live in the Washington DC area, join the New Colonist discussion
group for Washington. Click here:

Interested in making Pittsburgh a more diverse place? Go here:
http://www.geocities.com/welcometopittsburgh.html

READER COMMENTS:

Morganton (NC) is a very beautiful little town surrounded by mountains in
western
NC.  On the surface it seems friendly enough ala "southern charm", but they
are really very sort of clannish people who don't accept strangers to their
inner circle, unless they are related to someone important. They have very
few employment opportunities.  Most of the businesses are connected to the
furniture making industry.  They have chicken factories where the Latinos
work, (they "invaded" the town about 3 or 4 years ago)and live sometimes 12
a small apartment. Their presence is more or less ignored by most of the
townspeople.  Of course, Social Services try to do their thing but the
people know they are not welcome. Being a liberal Democrat, this does not
set
well with me but I am probably as much a minority as the Latinos.  I am
accepted to a certaion extent, I teach an adult Sunday School class at the
Presbyterian church and am active in church sponsored charities.  I retired
here from the University of NC where I worked for 12 years as Asst. Dir. of
Quality Assurance for the Dept. of Medicine and UNC Memorial Hospital.

Joan Dickison