[Hpn] Vigil endangered; canaries still live (but barely)

Ellen Thomas prop1@prop1.org
Mon, 05 Nov 2001 18:43:10 -0500

--Boundary_(ID_3gpwv/VxUu6HKifWC3ZxPg)

"Coal miners would carry canaries into the mines with them to warn them of
poisonous gas.  If the canary dropped to the bottom of the cage, the miners
left in a hurry."

Wanted to let you know the vigil is under siege again, from a pair of rogue
cops.

Rudy, who does the night shift, decided to take a stand against the war by
drumming every day, and by spending about 20 hours a day in Lafayette (Peace)
Park.  Now he's having to take a stand against police harassment.  This morning
I found him wrapped in a blanket, head bowed, sitting up; a sergeant had
threatened him with arrest three times during the night.  The sergeant's
lieutenant had threatened him several times last week.

These two first started warning Rudy (who has done the night shift much of the
last three years) at 6 a.m. several mornings in a row a couple of weeks ago.
So I started getting to the park at 5:55 a.m. to make sure they wouldn't be
caught with their eyes closed when the Park Police shift changed.  Now the
sergeant's on the night shift, the lieutenant still on mornings, and both Rudy
and Concepcion are under constant surveillance and threats during the wee
hours.  This is a new development, since the bombing started in Afghanistan.
We haven't had this kind of harassment since the Gulf War.

The night vigilers need people's help.  Those who can, please come drum for
disarmament every afternoon, 4-6 pm.  Stop by to give them bathroom, coffee,
food breaks.  Call the White House (202-456-1414 or -1111) and ask them to
instruct these rogue cops to leave the vigilers alone.  Call the media and ask
them to cover the story.  Call the U.S. Park Police and complain to the Captain
about the behavior of these officers.  Don't let freedom wither and die.  Keep
the canaries alive.  If the vigil disappears, look out.  We've said this
before, but maybe now it will make a little more sense.

Love,

Ellen (et in dc)
workin' on the Peace House
and NucNews
and peace on earth
etc.

*   Peace Through Reason - http://prop1.org  *
    Please sign the Online Petition! -
http://www.PetitionOnline.com/prop1/petition.html
     NucNews - Today and Archives -
     http://prop1.org/nucnews/briefslv.htm

--Boundary_(ID_3gpwv/VxUu6HKifWC3ZxPg)

<dl>
<dd>&quot;Coal miners would carry canaries into the mines with them to
warn them of poisonous gas.&nbsp; If the canary dropped to the bottom of
the cage, the miners left in a hurry.&quot;&nbsp; <br>
</dl>Wanted to let you know the vigil is under siege again, from a pair
of rogue cops.&nbsp; <br>
Rudy, who does the night shift, decided to take a stand against the war
by drumming every day, and by spending about 20 hours a day in Lafayette
(Peace) Park.&nbsp; Now he's having to take a stand against police
harassment.&nbsp; This morning I found him wrapped in a blanket, head
bowed, sitting up; a sergeant had threatened him with arrest three times
during the night.&nbsp; The sergeant's lieutenant had threatened him
several times last week.&nbsp; <br>
These two first started warning Rudy (who has done the night shift much
of the last three years) at 6 a.m. several mornings in a row a couple of
weeks ago.&nbsp; So I started getting to the park at 5:55 a.m. to make
sure they wouldn't be caught with their eyes closed when the Park Police
shift changed.&nbsp; Now the sergeant's on the night shift, the
lieutenant still on mornings, and both Rudy and Concepcion are under
constant surveillance and threats during the wee hours.&nbsp; This is a
new development, since the bombing started in Afghanistan.&nbsp; We
haven't had this kind of harassment since the Gulf War.<br>
The night vigilers need people's help.&nbsp; Those who can, please come
drum for disarmament every afternoon, 4-6 pm.&nbsp; Stop by to give them
bathroom, coffee, food breaks.&nbsp; Call the White House (202-456-1414
or -1111) and ask them to instruct these rogue cops to leave the vigilers
alone.&nbsp; Call the media and ask them to cover the story.&nbsp; Call
the U.S. Park Police and complain to the Captain about the behavior of
these officers.&nbsp; Don't let freedom wither and die.&nbsp; Keep the
canaries alive.&nbsp; If the vigil disappears, look out.&nbsp; We've said
this before, but maybe now it will make a little more sense.<br>
Love,<br>
Ellen (et in dc)<br>
workin' on the Peace House<br>
and NucNews<br>
and peace on earth<br>
etc.<br>

*&nbsp;&nbsp; Peace Through Reason -
*<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Please sign the Online Petition! -
Archives -&nbsp; <br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;

--Boundary_(ID_3gpwv/VxUu6HKifWC3ZxPg)--