[Hpn] Bread Not Circuses - OLYMPIC delegates meet Toronto bid opponents (fwd)

Tom Boland wgcp@earthlink.net
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 22:00:35 -0800 (PST)

TORONTO activists' CONTACT info & related News Links follow 2 AP articles: http://newsfinder.arinet.com/fpweb/fp.dll/$stargeneral/htm/x_dv.htm/_ibyx/cg0302 6/_itox/starnet/_svc/news/_Id/706953003/_k/qU7s0Oj5A8k5rW20 FWD Associated Press - AP Wire Service - March 09 2001 PACKED DAY FOR IOC DELEGATION BEGINS WITH MEETING WITH SOCIAL ACTIVISTS Editors Note Dollar amounts are in Canadian dollars By The Associated Press TORONTO (AP) _ After starting its weeklong visit hearing about all the benefits of handing Toronto the 2008 Summer Olympics, the IOC technical commission heard the opposite Friday from a group opposing the bid for the Games. The Toronto bid committee can only hope a long day of presentations and venue visits helped erase the memories of the IOC group's morning meeting with a social activist group called Bread Not Circuses _ the same folks who lobbied against the Toronto bid for the 1996 Summer Olympics that eventually failed. In 1990, the group sent representatives to Tokyo, where the IOC held its final vote, to demonstrate. Atlanta was awarded the 1996 Games, and Toronto finished third in voting. On Friday morning, Bread Not Circuses showed the IOC commission a video depicting ``Toronto's homeless disaster.'' ``This film footage is real and it's just from last month,'' said Cathy Crowe, also from the Toronto Disaster Relief Committee. ``One of the things we wanted to do is expose Toronto's dirty little secret, which is the homeless disaster.'' The coalition says the city would be better served constructing affordable housing on the land earmarked for Olympic venues rather than have billions spent on the Games. ``There seemed to be quite an interest (from the IOC commission) in the points we were making,'' said Jan Borowy, one of the founding members of the coalition. ``They took notes throughout.'' Toronto is the third stop on the commission's tour of cities bidding to hold the 2008 Games. Beijing and Osaka, Japan, were visited last month. The panel's report will go a long way toward determining the eventual bid winner. Members remain through Sunday before departing for Istanbul (March 20 to 25) and Paris (March 28 to April 2). After visiting Paris, the 14 IOC delegates will write a final report on the five bid cities. That report will go to the IOC executive before being sent to the entire IOC membership, which will gather in Moscow on July 13 to vote on the host city for the 2008 Games. Received Id AP101068D3983745 on Mar 09 2001 21:55 http://newsfinder.arinet.com/fpweb/fp.dll/$stargeneral/htm/x_dv.htm/_ibyx/cg0302 6/_itox/starnet/_svc/news/_Id/706921802/_k/1NYQgS445YJYf9vH FWD Associated Press - AP Wire Service - March 09 2001 GROUP OPPOSING TORONTO'S BID MEETS WITH IOC EVALUATORS TORONTO (AP) _ Organizers of Toronto's bid to host the 2008 Olympics set up a meeting Friday between visiting International Olympic Committee evaluators and a group that opposes holding the Games here. The activist group called Bread Not Circuses says land and money proposed for construction of Olympic facilities should instead go toward helping the homeless in Toronto. Its representatives showed the IOC delegation a video on the city's homeless problem. ``There seemed to be quite an interest (from the IOC commission) in the points we were making,'' said Jan Borowy, a founding member of the group. ``They took notes throughout.'' Bid organizers hope the openness they displayed by arranging the meeting will contrast with the political climate in Beijing, considered the front-runner among the five finalists. When the IOC panel visited Beijing in February, police kept a close watch on dissidents to prevent any opposition displays. ``We gave them a chance to speak,'' Bob Richardson, chief operating officer of Toronto's bid, said of the Bread Not Circuses presentation. ``We make no apologies for being a democracy.'' The 17-member evaluation commission is on the third stop of a tour of the five finalists for the 2008 Games. It previously studied the bids by Beijing and Osaka, Japan, and goes to Istanbul and Paris after completing its work in Toronto on Sunday. Reports by the commission will go to the full IOC, which decides the winner on July 13. Bread Not Circuses also opposed Toronto's bid to host the 1996 Games. Some members went to the decision-making IOC meeting in Tokyo in 1990 to lobby against Toronto, which finished third behind winner Atlanta and Beijing. This time, Bread Not Circuses expects to be part of the evaluation team's final report on the Toronto bid. ``They (the IOC commissioners) said they would take our entire submission as well as the points we raised in this morning's meeting and put them in their report,'' Borowy said. Noting that opinion polls show 80 percent support for hosting the Games and the bid has the backing of all levels of government, bid officials said the opposition voice should do little harm. ``I was almost glad that they were there,'' said Marnie McBean, the three-time Olympic rowing gold medalist who is on the bid committee. ``We're honest. We know we don't have 100 percent support. We're not trying to hide anything.'' After meeting with the dissenters, the IOC evaluators received more reports on the positive aspects of the bid, including an appearance by Ontario Premier Mike Harris to guarantee the province's financial commitment. AP-CS-03-09-01 1816EST Received Id AP1010683FB4608C on Mar 09 2001 17:35 END FORWARD **In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is distributed without charge or profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this type of information for non-profit research and educational purposes only.** SEE ALSO http://www.canoe.ca/TorontoNews/04n4.html FWD Toronto Sun - Saturday, March 10, 2001 HOMELESSNESS FOCUS OF TALKS Anti-poverty activists opposed to the Olympics made their best attempt to derail the Games in a meeting with IOC members yesterday. http://news.altavista.com/scripts/editorial.dll?ei=2411948&ern=y UPDATE 1 - TORONTO PUTS ON A SHOW AS OLYMPIC COMMITTEE ARRIVES Scott Anderson - 03/08/2001 TORONTO, March 8 (Reuters) - EXCERPT Flanked by more than 100 boisterous homeless at a downtown soup kitchen on Thursday, representatives from [Bread Not Circuses] and Toronto Disaster Relief Coalition spoke out against the games. http://www.canoe.ca/TorontoNews/37n2.html FWD Toronto Sun - February 18, 2001 LESS HYPE, MORE REALITY: WALKER By BRAD HONYWILL Toronto's Olympic bid has won accolades worldwide, but in the city there's a small but indefatigable throng of naysayers. http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Bread+Not+Circuses+Coalition%22&lr=&safe=off&s a=G Bread Not Circuses Coalition - GOOGLE SEARCH results OLYMNPICS related articles on HPN Newswire: [Hpn] HOMELESS face EVICTION for Japan OLYMPICS / Nakama-no-kai press release [Hpn] Fwd: What's TO-Bid 2008 hiding from Toronto's citizens? [HPN] Fwd: IWD speech Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2000 17:24:52 -0500 From: Cathy Crowe, RN <crowe@web.net> Housing Now! 416-703-8482 (117) 416-703-6190 (fax) http://www.breadnotcircuses.org/home.html Bread Not Circuses Coalition c/o P.O. Box 139, 365 Roncesvalles Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M6R 2M8 Telephone: (416) 410-2267 Info: <inquiries@breadnotcircuses.org> TORONTO homelessness & activist groups & related news sites: http://www.tao.ca/~ocap/ http://www.interlog.com/~cjazz/june15.htm http://www.housingagain.web.net http://www.breadnotcircuses.org/home.html Visit HPN for CONSTANTLY UPDATING NEWS on Homeless People: *************************************************************** Over 10,000 articles by or via homeless & ex-homeless people Been Homeless? Then JOIN! EMAIL Tom Boland <wgcp@earthlink.net> Nothing About Us Without Us - Democratize Public Policy ***************************************************************