[Hpn] Save Camp Paradise

Becky Johnson wmnofstl@cruzio.com
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 15:35:50 -0000

------=_NextPart_000_02BC_01C0FE56.00CF44C0

Update from Friends of Camp Paradise

Tuesday, June 26, 2001

Santa Cruz, Ca. -- Camp Paradise was visited by a contingent of the City =
of Santa Cruz including Assistant City Manager Martine Bernal, Interim =
City Planning Director, Gene Arner, and several members of the Planning =
Dept. They were escorted by the homeless resource officer, Eric Seilley. =

The City Council is expected to discuss the future of Camp Paradise, now =
home to 45 people including four children, a nine-month pregnant woman, =
and a disabled woman in a wheelchair. However, the item has not been =
posted on the agenda 72 hours prior to the meeting, as required by the =
Brown Act.

The camp has grown from 23 to 45 because the ISSP program (the City=92s =
only emergency shelter program for homeless people) has sent 20 people =
who they had to turn away for lack of space. Also, the first campers =
from remote areas of the Pogonip have pulled up their camps and joined =
those at Camp Paradise.

Camp Paradise, an alcohol and drug-free campground, set up and run by =
homeless people, has removed an estimated 24 tons of trash from the San =
Lorenzo Riverbank in the past 9 months in an area where homeless people =
have traditionally camped for decades. They have been given written =
notices to vacate by July 1, 2001.

PLEASE ATTEND TONIGHT=92S CITY COUNCIL MEETING AT 7PM TO SHOW SUPPORT

FOR CAMP PARADISE

If you can=92t come down personally to show support, please send a =
message to the Santa Cruz City Council that they preserve Camp Paradise =
until they are able to find a location to move these people to. These =
people are trying hard, have shown themselves to be good stewards of the =
land and good neighbors, and deserve our thanks and our support.

Santa Cruz City Council: 24 hr. voicemail (831)420-5020

e-mail citycouncil@ci.santa-cruz.ca.us=20

cc: campparadise@hotmail.com=20

or by fax at (831) 420-5011

Attn: Mayor Tim Fitzmaurice

Also: Club Cruz 6/26 and 6/28 at 7PM on Channel 27

Rabbi Chayim Levin interviews Larry Templeton of Camp Paradise

Footage of the Camp and its residents on leafy riverbank included.

As always, please come and visit the camp at the end of Felker St.

Near Denny=92s Restaurant on Ocean St.

------=_NextPart_000_02BC_01C0FE56.00CF44C0

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 =
HTML//EN">
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><BR>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT>
<DIV><I><FONT size=3D4>
<P align=3Dcenter>Update from Friends of Camp Paradise</P></I>
<P align=3Dcenter>Tuesday, June 26, 2001</P>
<P align=3Dcenter></P></FONT>
<P>Santa Cruz, Ca. -- <I>Camp Paradise</I> was visited by a contingent =
of the=20
City of Santa Cruz including <B>Assistant City Manager Martine =
Bernal</B>,=20
<B>Interim City Planning Director, Gene Arner,</B> and several members =
of the=20
Planning Dept. They were escorted by the homeless resource officer, =
<B>Eric=20
Seilley</B>. </P>
<P>The City Council is expected to discuss the future of <I>Camp =
Paradise,</I>=20
now home to 45 people including four children, a nine-month pregnant =
woman, and=20
a disabled woman in a wheelchair. However, the item has not been posted =
on the=20
agenda 72 hours prior to the meeting, as required by the Brown Act.</P>
<P>The camp has grown from 23 to 45 because the ISSP program (the =
City&rsquo;s=20
only emergency shelter program for homeless people) has sent 20 people =
who they=20
had to turn away for lack of space. Also, the first campers from remote =
areas of=20
the Pogonip have pulled up their camps and joined those at <I>Camp=20
Paradise</I>.</P><I>
<P>Camp Paradise</I>, an alcohol and drug-free campground, set up and =
run by=20
homeless people, has removed an estimated 24 tons of trash from the San =
Lorenzo=20
Riverbank in the past 9 months in an area where homeless people have=20
traditionally camped for decades. They have been given written notices =
to vacate=20
by July 1, 2001.</P>
<P align=3Dcenter>PLEASE ATTEND TONIGHT&rsquo;S CITY COUNCIL MEETING AT =
7PM TO=20
SHOW SUPPORT</P>
<P align=3Dcenter>FOR CAMP PARADISE</P>
<P align=3Dcenter>If you can&rsquo;t come down personally to show =
support, please=20
send a message to the Santa Cruz City Council that they preserve Camp =
Paradise=20
until they are able to find a location to move these people to. These =
people are=20
trying hard, have shown themselves to be good stewards of the land and =
good=20
neighbors, and deserve our thanks and our support.</P>
<P align=3Dcenter></P>
<P align=3Dcenter>Santa Cruz City Council: 24 hr. voicemail =
(831)420-5020</P>
<P align=3Dcenter>e-mail <A=20
href=3D"mailto:citycouncil@ci.santa-cruz.ca.us">citycouncil@ci.santa-cruz=
.ca.us</A>=20
</P>
<P align=3Dcenter>cc: <A=20
href=3D"mailto:campparadise@hotmail.com">campparadise@hotmail.com</A> =
</P>
<P align=3Dcenter>or by fax at (831) 420-5011</P>
<P align=3Dcenter>Attn: Mayor Tim Fitzmaurice</P>
<P align=3Dcenter>Also: Club Cruz 6/26 and 6/28 at 7PM on Channel 27</P>
<P align=3Dcenter>Rabbi Chayim Levin interviews Larry Templeton of Camp=20
Paradise</P>
<P align=3Dcenter>Footage of the Camp and its residents on leafy =
riverbank=20
included.</P>
<P align=3Dcenter></P><I>
<P align=3Dcenter>As always, please come and visit the camp at the end =
of Felker=20
St.</P>
<P align=3Dcenter>Near Denny&rsquo;s Restaurant on Ocean St.</P></I>
<P align=3Dcenter></P>
<P align=3Dcenter>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P></DIV></BODY></HTML>