[Hpn] FW: Oregon Pro-Pot Smoker Ad Starts Media Frenzy [off topic]

coh coh@sfo.com
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 13:26:23 -0700

EXCERPT FROM:

 The Week Online with DRCNet, Issue #192 - June 29, 2001
     A Publication of the Drug Reform Coordination Network

  "Raising Awareness of the Consequences of Drug Prohibition"

          Phillip S. Smith, Editor, psmith@drcnet.org
      David Borden, Executive Director, borden@drcnet.org

Subscribe:  http://www.drcnet.org/signup.html
This issue on the web:  http://www.drcnet.org/wol/192.html

7. Oregon Pro-Pot Smoker Ad Starts Media Frenzy

    http://www.drcnet.org/wol/192.html#neighbors

"We're Jeff and Tracy. We're your good neighbors. We smoke pot."

So reads the large, bold-face type at the top of a full-page advertisement
that appeared this week in an Oregon alternative weekly, the Willamette
Week. Beneath the bold type is a photo of the Oregon couple -- a normal
looking pair -- and more text detailing their views about the normality of
marijuana smoking and their struggle to find a media outlet that would let
them air their views.

The couple, Jeff Jarvis and Tracy Johnson, both 39, of Bend, Oregon, only
wanted to publicize their position that marijuana users are normal people,
too, but because of the refusal by various media to air their ad, their
effort has grown into a full-fledged local media frenzy. At first, Jarvis
and Johnson went to local rock radio stations seeking to air a 30-second
spot (reproduced in the print ad), but none would touch it. Portland's
KUFO-FM turned them down, and so did KNRK-FM, KGON-FM, KKRZ-FM, KKCW-FM and
KEX-AM, as well as Bend rock station KXIX-FM, which, the ad notes,
"proclaims 4:20 to be the happiest moment on Earth. Go figure."

The rejections didn't stop there. The ad agency that handles advertising
for the Portland mass transit agency, Obie Media, nixed that plan. And
Portland's leading newspaper, the Oregonian, rejected a Sunday print ad as
"unsuitable for publication."

"Those radio stations did us a great favor by rejecting our ad," Jarvis told
DRCNet. "These are stations that are constantly joking about pot, but they
wouldn't buy our ad. Now everyone wants to talk about it. One station said
our ad would 'frighten mothers,' and this is a station that broadcasts the
Howard Stern show!"

In fact, when DRCNet caught up with the couple on Thursday, they were
heading out the door to drive to Portland, where a planned vacation weekend
had morphed into a series of media interviews.

Why did the couple come out of the closet? "I can't point to any one
thing," said Jarvis. "It just came down to deciding that we had had
enough. We're pretty patient people, but we decided we had to step up to
the plate. We're not really activists -- I volunteered at the Portland
NORML booth once in 1998 -- but we've been watching and seeing people do
good things. The activists have laid the groundwork, but now I think we've
reached critical mass and it is time for the average Joe to stand up and say
'yeah, we're here.' When more people stand up, it'll be over in the blink
of an eye."

The ad was designed to raise public awareness, said Jarvis, and as a result
of the media censorship, it has succeeded far beyond the couple's
expectations. But, said Jarvis, "This is also a personal declaration of who
I am. Don't be surprised if you find out I get high. And we're not alone.
This country is thick with pot smokers. I can't believe how rampant
underground marijuana consumption is. It's everywhere."

As for the future, said Jarvis, the couple intend to get back to their
normal lives. "This was our 15 minutes of fame," he said, "well, okay,
maybe 30 minutes. We had thought about this for months, and now we've done
it, but we don't intend to continue to do this. We can't afford it; we
drive an '86 Honda."

The couple has, however, been heartened by the flood of responses their saga
has generated. "We've been flooded with e-mails, and not one has been
critical," said Jarvis. "We even heard from the Pot Pride people."

"That's right," said Mikki Norris of Pot Pride
(http://www.chrisconrad.com/potpride/), an organization devoted to
normalizing the image of marijuana users. "I think Jeff and Tracy did a
very courageous thing, and an innovative one. This hasn't been done before,
that I know of. I commend them for doing it."

But Norris added that Jarvis and Johnson had certain advantages that
lessened the risk involved in coming out. "They are self-employed, so they
don't have to fear that they'll lose their jobs for coming out of the
closet," pointed out Norris. "We want to see people going public, but for
other people, it might make sense to come out first to their friends and
family and see how that plays. Once you come out to friends and family, you
can hopefully gain their love and support as you take it to the next level."

Norris thinks the Pot Pride movement should also be looking at creating
support groups similar to P-FLAG, the organization of parents and friends of
gay people. "We could use support groups of family and friends of pot
smokers," said Norris. "If they can help educate the public, explain that
pot smokers are good people and contributing members of society, then that
will open a lot of minds."

As for the ad idea, said Norris, "more people should try it."

The print ad cost $2,555, said Jarvis. At that rate, 50 people chipping in
$50 each could go public. A fair price to out oneself?

The ad may be viewed online at
http://www.teleport.com/~jbjarvis/wesmokepot/wweek_ad.pdf.

--
END FORWARD