[Hpn] Sanders Unveils National Affordable Housing Trust Fund Legislation

Morgan W. Brown morganbrown@hotmail.com
Wed, 27 Jun 2001 14:18:50 -0400

Below is a forward of a press release from U.S. Congressman Bernie Sanders
(I-VT) Web site regarding the introduction of a bill in the House today
(Wednesday, June 27, 2001) which would establish a "National Affordable
Housing Trust Fund".

Following the forward are Web addresses for further information.

Morgan <morganbrown@hotmail.com>
Morgan W. Brown
Montpelier Vermont

-------Forwarded Press Release-------

Found at:

http://bernie.house.gov/documents/2001/06-27-2001.asp

For Immediate Release, JUNE 27, 2001

Sanders Unveils National Affordable Housing Trust Fund Legislation

Congressman’s bill would triple affordable housing construction next year

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Congressman Bernie Sanders (I-VT) today unveiled new
legislation that he authored which would create a National Affordable
Housing Trust Fund. At a time of a major housing crisis in Vermont and
throughout the country, the fund would pump billions of dollars into
affordable housing. Sanders, who is a senior member of the Housing
Subcommittee of the U.S. House Sanders was joined at the press conference by
Congresswoman Barbara Lee (D-CA), Congresswoman Karen McCarthy (D-MO),
Congresswoman Lynn Rivers (D-MI), Congresswoman Stephanie Tubbs-Jones
(D-OH), and Congressman Danny K. Davis (D-IL) who are all original
co-sponsors of this legislation. Sanders was also joined by representatives
from the National Low Income Housing Coalition, the National Coalition for
the Homeless, the McAuley Institute and other affordable housing advocates
who are strongly supportive of this bill.

Sanders said, “There are millions of people in Vermont and throughout this
country who are finding it extremely difficult to afford the escalating cost
of housing even if they are working full time. Anyone who has tried to rent
an apartment or buy a house lately knows that rents and home prices are
often going up and up – well beyond affordability. By creating the National
Affordable Housing Trust Fund that I am proposing, we could triple the
amount of affordable housing construction in this country next year. As a
Member of the Housing Subcommittee in the U.S. House which has jurisdiction
over this bill, I intend to do my best to see that this legislation is
passed.”

According to HUD, about 5.4 million Americans today are paying more than
half of their limited incomes on housing or living in severely substandard
housing. Since 1990, the number of families who have "worst case" housing
needs has increased by 12 percent -- that's 600,000 more American families
who cannot afford a decent and safe place to live. Sanders noted that for
the many families living paycheck to paycheck one unforeseen circumstance -
a sick child, a needed car repair, or a large utility bill - can send them
into homelessness.

Sanders’ National Affordable Housing Trust Fund would be capitalized by
using some of the surplus from the Federal Housing Administration (FHA).
FHA, which provides mortgage insurance for many homebuyers, will accumulate
a $26 billion surplus over the next ten years. The Trust Fund would provide
monies to the states and to the non-profit housing community to construct
affordable housing.

Sanders concluded, “To solve the severe housing crunch we are experiencing
in my state of Vermont and other parts of the country is going to require a
serious commitment on the part of the federal government. This National
Affordable Housing Trust Fund is an important step toward meeting that
goal.” Contact:
HELEN LANGAN at (202) 225-4115

---End of forwarded press release---

Wednesday, June 27, 2001, 1:00 pm, House Triangle: Sanders, Lee, Karen
McCarthy, Rivers and Tubbs-Jones To Unveil National Affordable Housing Trust
Fund Legislation:

http://www.nationalhomeless.org/nhtfrelease.html

National Housing Trust Fund news:

http://www.nationalhomeless.org/nhtfnews.html

~~~Hosted at:

National Coalition for the Homeless (NCH):

http://www.nationalhomeless.org

National Housing Trust Fund (NHTF) Campaign Web site:

http://www.nhtf.org

educational purposes only.**

-------End of forward-------

Morgan <morganbrown@hotmail.com>