[Hpn] NCH Development Associate VISTA opening
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 22:29:08 -0400
From: "luke perry" <email@example.com>
Subject: NCH Development Associate VISTA opening
Please forward this to any and all interested parties, lists, and
organizations. Those who are currently homeless or have experienced
homelessness are encouraged to apply. Please note the July 10th deadline.
AmeriCorps*VISTA Position Available:
National Coalition for the Homeless:
The National Coalition for the Homeless (NCH), founded in 1984, is the
nation's largest and oldest national homeless advocacy organization whose
goal is to end homelessness. Toward that end, NCH concentrates on four
issue areas: affordable housing, universal health care, living wages, and
civil rights. We use the following strategies: public education, policy
analysis & advocacy, grassroots organizing and technical assistance.
Project Job Description:
The National Coalition for the Homeless (NCH) has an AmeriCorps*VISTA
position open for an exciting opportunity to work in resource
development/fundraising/public relations. The AmeriCorps*VISTA member
will take responsibility for NCH's development and membership outreach
program. The project involves raising funds, increasing membership, and
creating a permanent, development department. The member will be working
with NCH staff who will provide direct supervision and training. The member
will be based at NCH's downtown Washington, DC office.
* To assist the Development Director in implementing the fundraising work
* To submit inquiry letters and/or full proposals to foundations and
* Fundraising and advertising through NCH's e-commerce initiatives.
* To increase individual and organizational membership for NCH
* Database development and maintenance
* Participation in local/national charity campaigns.
* Representing NCH at conferences/events in the DC area.
* Working with state government agencies to ensure that NCH complies with
consumer protection/solicitation laws.
* To submit and coordinate NCH's applications to register solicitation
drives with state agencies.
* Networking with other and national grassroots advocacy organizations
* Recruiting public relations firms and businesses to provide pro bono
services to NCH.
* To write direct mail appeals
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
* Interest and commitment to working for long-term solutions to
* Familiarity with homelessness/poverty issues
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Strong proficiency with word processing, lotus or similar application,
and database software program
* Strong research skills and experience
* Excellent organizational skills
* Self-motivation and ability to motivate and inspire others
* Ability to work in a diverse working environment and with members of the
Compensation and Start Date:
This is a full-time position and requires a one year commitment.
Compensation includes: a living allowance of $786 per month, relocation
expenses, travel reimbursement, health insurance, an education benefit of
$4,725 or a $1,250 exit stipend is provided after successfully completing a
one year term of service. This education award may be used for loan
repayment or tuition reimbursement. Your qualified, federally backed,
student loan repayment will be deferred during your term of service with
AmeriCorps*Vista. Immediate opening.
Send a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and references by July 10 to:
Michael Stoops, National Coalition for the Homeless, 1012 14th St., NW,
#600; Washington, DC 20005-3471. Phone: 202-737-6444 x19. Fax:
202-737-6445. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The National Coalition for the Homeless is an equal opportunity employer.
Women, minorities, homeless/formerly homeless people, and persons with
disabilities are encouraged to apply.