[Hpn] Washington, DC News:Shift of homeless services eyed;Washington Times;6/19/01

Morgan W. Brown morganbrown@hotmail.com
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 10:15:53 -0400

-------Forwarded article-------

Tuesday, June 19, 2001
Washington Times
[Washington, D.C.]
National/Politics section
Shift of homeless services eyed
<http://www.washtimes.com/national/20010619-81830104.htm>

By George Archibald
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Housing and Urban Development Secretary Mel Martinez is negotiating to
transfer the bulk of HUD´s $1.1 billion homeless program to the Health and
Human Services Department.

Mr. Martinez said at a breakfast yesterday with editors and reporters of The
Washington Times that he and HHS Secretary Tommy G. Thompson have met about
a proposed shift of responsibilities for the homeless, and the two
departments have created a joint task force "to try to unravel the
regulatory maze that now happens on issues of the homeless."

Congress would have to approve the transfer.

The housing department has "spent a large, large sum of money over the past
10 years on homeless issues, with very little to show for it," Mr. Martinez
said. "The homeless population seems to be about the same as it was, while
at the same time HUD dollars seem to go more and more towards services than
they do towards the things that HUD does, which is housing, shelter."

About 70 percent of HUD´s spending for the homeless is for mental health
counseling, drug and alcohol treatment, and other services unrelated to
shelter, Mr. Martinez said.

"Homelessness I think, by and large, is an issue of addiction, mental
illness and things of that nature. We really have to, at HUD, do those
things that only HUD does. HHS can be the health provider, the care
provider, but the only one that does shelter is HUD."

Both secretaries are amenable to shifting homeless services, although Mr.
Martinez said he prefers to have a federal partnership with faith-based
organizations to provide counseling and treatment services to homeless
adults and children.

"We don´t do it well, first of all. I´m not sure HHS does it well either,
frankly, but maybe a faith-based organization would do it best of all,
frankly."

President Bush has assigned Mr. Martinez as the administration´s point man
in identifying government barriers to the president´s faith-based
initiative. The HUD secretary said he would issue an inventory of barriers
by the end of next month.

"The bottom line is we are very focused" on the president´s initiative, he
said. "We´re really the lead agency on this, and we´re going to be very much
pushing forward on that."

Mr. Martinez recalled his own experience as one of 14,000 "Pedro Pans" --
Cuban children who escaped Fidel Castro´s Cuba between December 1960 and
October 1962 with help from the Kennedy administration and the Catholic
diocese in Miami, which placed him in a foster home 41/2 years before his
parents could leave the communist-controlled island.

He said of Mr. Bush´s faith-based initiative: "It´s a program and an idea
that I very much relate to and understand because, in my own life, I was
touched by Catholic charities ... in partnership with the federal
government."

The HUD secretary said he has asked congressional leaders to give him leeway
to rebuild the management team and morale at HUD, which were severely
damaged with the appointments by his predecessor, Andrew Cuomo, of political
operatives called "community builders" at HUD offices throughout the
country.

The political appointments bypassed HUD´s career professionals -- "not good
management, in my view. We´re going in a different direction," Mr. Martinez
said.

Some congressional leaders want prompt action on new HUD spending
initiatives "to get more housing production going," he said. "I´m saying,
give me a year, let´s catch our breath. Before we do more, before we throw
more money at the problem, wouldn´t you want to know that the $30 billion
you´re already putting in here a year is being well spent?"

A major concern is "endemic corruption" in about a dozen of the country´s
3,600 federally funded local housing authorities, particularly in New
Orleans and Puerto Rico, the secretary said.

"I think that there has been an attitude that boys will be boys," he said of
corrupt HUD employees, contractors and local housing officials. "Only a
dozen or so (of local housing authorities) are chronically troubled, but
those are really bad. And so that sort of permeates the whole atmosphere. We
need to be more vigilant about that, also expecting more of our local mayors
who oftentimes get a pass on all this."

HUD´s inspector general and a recent state audit catalogued rampant
misspending by the New Orleans housing agency, which was unable to account
for $1 million spent during the review period. Auditors also could not
account for three months worth of taxes withheld from the paychecks of
housing agency employees but not received by the Internal Revenue Service.

In Puerto Rico, prosecutors have won at least 13 indictments against local
housing officials charged with embezzling more than $2.5 million in federal
funds.

Because of the corruption scandal, Congress blocked payment of a $130
million settlement won by the Puerto Rico Public Housing Authority in a
lawsuit charging HUD had shortchanged it over the years.

A House-Senate conference committee blocked payment in an appropriations
measure in September until Congress received assurances that the scandal had
been investigated and HUD´s inspector general had given the Puerto Rican
agency a clean bill of health.

educational purposes only.**

-------End of forward-------

Morgan <morganbrown@hotmail.com>