[Hpn] Fw: pazamor~* HUD's head still up its rear

cindy l carlson under_the_bridgeproject@juno.com
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 15:31:22 -0700

From: "Blazing Star" <sananda@hotmail.com>
To: homelessworld@blazingstar.org
Cc: harmony@blazingstar.org
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 11:19:42 -0700
Subject: pazamor~* HUD's head still up its rear

***************************

The Washington Times
www.washtimes.com
-------------------------------------

Shift of homeless services eyed

George Archibald
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Published 6/19/01

     Housing and Urban Development Secretary Mel Martinez is negotiating
transfer the bulk of HUD´s $1.1 billion homeless program to the Health
and
Human Services Department.

     Mr. Martinez said at a breakfast yesterday with editors and
reporters
of The Washington Times that he and HHS Secretary Tommy G. Thompson have
met
about a proposed shift of responsibilities for the homeless, and the two
departments have created a joint task force "to try to unravel the
regulatory maze that now happens on issues of the homeless."

     Congress would have to approve the transfer.

     The housing department has "spent a large, large sum of money over
the
past 10 years on homeless issues, with very little to show for it," Mr.
Martinez said. "The homeless population seems to be about the same as it
was, while at the same time HUD dollars seem to go more and more towards
services than they do towards the things that HUD does, which is housing,

shelter."

     About 70 percent of HUD´s spending for the homeless is for mental
health counseling, drug and alcohol treatment, and other services
unrelated
to shelter, Mr. Martinez said.

     "Homelessness I think, by and large, is an issue of addiction,
mental
illness and things of that nature. We really have to, at HUD, do those
things that only HUD does. HHS can be the health provider, the care
provider, but the only one that does shelter is HUD."

     Both secretaries are amenable to shifting homeless services,
although
Mr. Martinez said he prefers to have a federal partnership with
faith-based
organizations to provide counseling and treatment services to homeless
adults and children.

     "We don´t do it well, first of all. I´m not sure HHS does it well
either, frankly, but maybe a faith-based organization would do it best of

all, frankly."

     President Bush has assigned Mr. Martinez as the administration´s
point
man in identifying government barriers to the president´s faith-based
initiative. The HUD secretary said he would issue an inventory of
barriers
by the end of next month.

     "The bottom line is we are very focused" on the president´s
initiative,
he said. "We´re really the lead agency on this, and we´re going to be
very
much pushing forward on that."

     Mr. Martinez recalled his own experience as one of 14,000 "Pedro
Pans"
-- Cuban children who escaped Fidel Castro´s Cuba between December 1960
and
October 1962 with help from the Kennedy administration and the Catholic
diocese in Miami, which placed him in a foster home 41/2 years before his

parents could leave the communist-controlled island.

     He said of Mr. Bush´s faith-based initiative: "It´s a program and an

idea that I very much relate to and understand because, in my own life, I

was touched by Catholic charities ... in partnership with the federal
government."

     The HUD secretary said he has asked congressional leaders to give
him
leeway to rebuild the management team and morale at HUD, which were
severely
damaged with the appointments by his predecessor, Andrew Cuomo, of
political
operatives called "community builders" at HUD offices throughout the
country.

     The political appointments bypassed HUD´s career professionals --
"not
good management, in my view. We´re going in a different direction," Mr.
Martinez said.

     Some congressional leaders want prompt action on new HUD spending
initiatives "to get more housing production going," he said. "I´m saying,

give me a year, let´s catch our breath. Before we do more, before we
throw
more money at the problem, wouldn´t you want to know that the $30 billion

you´re already putting in here a year is being well spent?"

     A major concern is "endemic corruption" in about a dozen of the
country´s 3,600 federally funded local housing authorities, particularly
in
New Orleans and Puerto Rico, the secretary said.

     "I think that there has been an attitude that boys will be boys," he

said of corrupt HUD employees, contractors and local housing officials.
"Only a dozen or so (of local housing authorities) are chronically
troubled,
but those are really bad. And so that sort of permeates the whole
atmosphere. We need to be more vigilant about that, also expecting more
of
our local mayors who oftentimes get a pass on all this."

     HUD´s inspector general and a recent state audit catalogued rampant
misspending by the New Orleans housing agency, which was unable to
account
for $1 million spent during the review period. Auditors also could not
account for three months worth of taxes withheld from the paychecks of
housing agency employees but not received by the Internal Revenue
Service.

     In Puerto Rico, prosecutors have won at least 13 indictments against

local housing officials charged with embezzling more than $2.5 million in

federal funds.

     Because of the corruption scandal, Congress blocked payment of a
$130
million settlement won by the Puerto Rico Public Housing Authority in a
lawsuit charging HUD had shortchanged it over the years.

     A House-Senate conference committee blocked payment in an
appropriations measure in September until Congress received assurances
that
the scandal had been investigated and HUD´s inspector general had given
the
Puerto Rican agency a clean bill of health.

Copyright © 2001 News World Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.

--

News, information and announcements shared for charitable research and
educational purposes pursuant to Title 177 USC §107, at:

Help Find Missing Children!
<http://www.apbnews.com/newscenter/missing/2000/02/kwilliams.html?s=syn.e
mil_kwilliams>

[To "chat" with Blazing Star, personally, download the free MSN MESSENGER

SERVICE, at http://www.msn.com -- then ADD sananda@hotmail.com to your
contact list.]