[Hpn] FW: City Council Vote on CHAM Pilot Program

Mon, 18 Jun 2001 15:14:27 -0700

----------
From: Sjwagers001@aol.com
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 16:23:54 EDT
Subject: City Council Vote on CHAM Pilot Program

For Immediate Release                           Contact: Pastor Scott Wagers
                                                Hotline (408) 345-2353
                                                Office  (408) 295-4463

CITY COUNCIL EXPECTED TO APPROVE $400,000 FOR CHAM PILOT PROGRAM FOR
HOMELESS
FAMILIES TOMORROW

San Jose---The CHAM Pilot Program is a rental subsidy program for homeless
families originally developed in San Jose in 1998. The San Jose City Council
is expected to approve another $400,000 for CHAPP on Tuesday at the 1:30
Council meeting.

CHAM  will hold a press conference in front of City Hall at 801 North First
Street at 1:00 p.m. to explain the basics of how this program works. The
press conference will include some families who benefited from the original
program as well as some who hope to be included in it in the future.

Renewal of the CHAM Pilot Program is only one in a series of housing-related
proposals sought by CHAM and other groups this year. On May 8, the City
Council greatly pleased us by agreeing to allocate 30% of housing funds to
ELI (extremely low-income) housing. Another of CHAM's priorities is the rent
relief and no unjust evictions campaign, which will be coming up before the
Council probably in late June and August.

We consider the creation of ELI housing and the approval of CHAPP important
steps for our city and we want to commend the Mayor and the Council for
these
actions on behalf of the homeless community.

PRESS CONFERENCE WITH CHAM HOMELESS FAMILIES IN FRONT OF CITY HALL

WHEN: TUESDAY, JUNE 19, AT 1:00 P.M.