[Hpn] Pappas School's funding is saved; Re: school segregation;homelessness

Morgan W. Brown morganbrown@hotmail.com
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 23:38:08 -0400

While I have been putting it differently than you have in what you wrote
Jason, I have been saying much of the same sort of thing; especially with
how resources are used in segregating students versus how they are, or can
be, better used in supporting students to attend non-segregated schools.

In addition, more resources are then freed up and made available to go
toward building or finding suitable permanent, affordable, safe and decent
housing for these students and their families -- instead of being used to
further segregate which in-turn culturally and socially institutionalizes
and isolates them in that fashion -- so they are not kept homeless, and thus
institutionalized, over a prolonged period.

All to say that I agree with you. I cannot disagree with the thinking, as I
understand it, which you put forward and shared on this subject so far.

In my opinion, what it and most things like this come down to is that we
will only begin to realize the results and goals we say we are after when we
finally and collectively recognize and act upon the fact that it is chiefly
about a matter of will and priorities and exercising power.

That is what guides who gets what funding, where that funding goes and how
it is used.

It certainly is not, and never has been, about having enough money
available; those are just excuses.

It is about having the will, using it meaningfully and powerfully in
determining how priorities are set and who sets those priorities of course.

Without proper and true citizen oversight via active and open participation,
there can never be the accountability that is always needed to keep power in
check which would keep people more honest than they otherwise would tend to
be when given and exercising such power.

It means that each of us needs to use our power to command collectively,
mutually, equally and respectfully -- without competing for command; rather
than merely being relegated individually or in small groups to demanding,
begging or settling for crumbs to trickle down off the table or otherwise
left to fight with each other over the scraps thrown in the trash by those
indifferent to our needs and circumstances.

Morgan
Morgan W. Brown
Montpelier Vermont