[Hpn] Pappas School's funding is saved; Re: school segregation;homelessness

Morgan W. Brown morganbrown@hotmail.com
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 09:43:50 -0400

Below is a forward of another article which is provided as a follow-up
regarding the battle over school segregation of students who are homeless.
Following that, FYI, is a forward of President George W. Bush's statement
regarding the Senate passage of the Education Reform bill.

The battle is far from over, neither has it been lost.

There is much more work ahead both long term and short term of course.

Remember that the changes which need to take place for children who are
homeless cannot and will not happen without you and your involvement. It is
up to us.

For the short term it includes weighing in by contacting your
Representative(s) to the U.S. House about this as the House and Senate work
out their differences between the two different education bills in
conference committee.

U.S. House of Representatives
Locate Representatives' Web Sites Listed by Name:

http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW.html

It will not hurt to follow-up with your state's U.S. Senate delegations
while the House and Senate versions of the education bills are in conference
committee either.

Senators of the 107th Congress [listed by state]:

http://www.senate.gov/senators/senator_by_state.cfm

FYI:

Contacting the White House:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/

For more information on these or related matters:

Barbara Duffield
National Coalition for the Homeless <http://www.nationalhomeless.org>
1012 Fourteenth Street, NW
Suite #600
Washington, DC 20005-3410
Phone: 202-737-6444
Fax: 202-737-6445
info@nationalhomeless.org

Lastly: Thank you to everyone who has weighed in and supported the effort to
ensure that all students are provided quality equal educational
opportunities in diverse classrooms along with the supports and services
needed to do so regardless of how or where a child lives. Great work
everyone!

Morgan <morganbrown@hotmail.com>
Morgan W. Brown
Montpelier Vermont

-------Forwarded article-------

Friday, June 15, 2001
The Arizona Republic
[Phoenix, Arizona]
Pappas School's funding is saved
<http://www.arizonarepublic.com/arizona/articles/0615pappas15.html>

By Sergio Bustos and Karina Bland
The Arizona Republic
June 15, 2001

Arizona's school for homeless children will stay open and eligible for
federal funding under President Bush's education bill passed Thursday by the
U.S. Senate.

That was good news for supporters of the Thomas J. Pappas School in Phoenix,
but it is one of only six schools nationwide covered by an amendment to the
bill that allows aid to continue.

Most of the more than 40 schools nationwide that serve homeless children
only will have to find other sources to make up for the loss of federal
dollars.

"I am thrilled to death," said Ernalee Phelps, development director at
Pappas. "But it breaks my heart that some communities would be forbidden
from doing this same thing. We need to help all homeless kids, not just
homeless kids in Arizona."

Most of the schools left out are in Washington, New York, Florida, Oklahoma
and Oregon.

Pappas, the country's largest school for homeless children, and five such
schools in California, including San Diego's Monarch High, stay eligible for
federal aid.

Pappas receives about $43,000 from the federal Stuart B. McKinney Act, money
dedicated for services for the homeless. The school also receives other
federal funding, totaling an estimated $850,000.

"This is a major, major obstacle that we've overcome," Maricopa County
Schools Superintendent Sandra Dowling said. She started the school a decade
ago.

"That school is the one stable thing that I can provide for my children,"
said Velma Williams, whose five children attend Pappas.

Some years, her kids were in as many as seven schools because the family
moved so often. Williams' daughter, Crystal Sumlin, 17, is the school's
first graduate.

"This school does good by us," said Taryn Tjernagel, 16, a junior at Pappas.

Tjernagel, who lives in a group home, said it would be hard to go to a
regular school - too many stares, too much whispering. At Pappas, she is on
the student council and recently was crowned queen at the school's first
prom.

Still, Pappas has its critics.

Some, like Louisa Stark of the Phoenix Consortium for the Homeless, think
the kids would be better off in regular public schools.

She suggested that Pappas be turned into a resource center, where all
homeless children in Arizona schools - an estimated 10,000 - could go for
food, clothing, counseling and medical attention.

Barbara Duffield, director of education for the National Coalition for the
Homeless in Washington, D.C., who has opposed separate schools for homeless
kids, said the bill does more than protect Pappas.

It mandates all schools admit homeless kids and not refer them to schools
solely for the homeless. Schools also must let children who lose their house
stay in school, regardless of where they live, and provide transportation.

"That might possibly remove the barriers that led to the creation of these
kinds of schools in the first place," Duffield said.

And, she said, the bill prohibits any more homeless schools from opening.

Dowling noted that a planned school in Tempe is not new, but rather a branch
of the existing one.

Sen. Jon Kyl, R-Ariz., who wrote the amendment, said no senators except Sen.
Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., stepped forward during negotiations to include
schools in other states as part of the measure. His original amendment did
include language to allow all existing schools for homeless children to
remain open.

"If I had my way, I would have rather not had to limit federal funding, but
this was part of the price we paid to get this amendment through the
Senate," Kyl said.

Dowling said other states' schools could be added later.

The House version of the amendment was championed by Rep. Jeff Flake,
R-Mesa. He said he was glad to see the Senate had agreed to keep federal
dollars flowing to Pappas.

"The federal government shouldn't be trying to either directly or indirectly
dictate to Arizona how to address education needs," he said. "Pappas is a
great example of a local solution to a local problem and shows that local
educators can best meet the needs of students."

Kyl said the amendment faced "intense opposition" from advocates for the
homeless and several Senate Democrats.

Opponents had argued that homeless children were being treated unfairly
because they were being segregated into separate schools and were given an
inferior education.

Supporters said homeless parents were not forced to place their children in
such schools and that students were provided with more resources and
stability than in regular public schools.

Senate and House conferees will meet to iron out differences between their
versions of the overall education bill. But the Pappas amendment is not
expected to be revised.

---End of forwarded article---

---Forwarded statement -- FYI---

THE WHITE HOUSE

Office of the Press Secretary

For Immediate Release  June 14, 2001
<http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2001/06/20010614-6.html>

STATEMENT BY THE PRESIDENT

I commend the Senate for passing an education reform bill that will
significantly improve and strengthen our public schools.  The reforms in
this bill reflect the core principles of my education agenda:
accountability, flexibility, local control, and more choices for parents. I
congratulate Chairman Kennedy, Ranking Member Gregg, and all those Senators
- Democratic, Republican, and Independent - whose hard work helped to
produce this bill.

We are close to a monumental achievement with bipartisan support.  As a
result of our efforts, we have wide agreement on the principles of education
reform.  I urge Congress to remain true to these principles during the
upcoming conference committee.

Many also agree on the need to provide historic levels of funding to help
states and local schools to implement these needed reforms.  Additional
spending on education surely is justified. But the increases must be
carefully directed and effectively spent.  In the past, increased spending
and the creation of multiple new programs have not improved student
achievement.

As a nation, we made a promise 36 years ago that disadvantaged children
would be well educated in our country. We have not yet fulfilled that
promise.  Now we must.   If we are to do so, we must change our approach. I
challenge the House and Senate conferees to keep this imperative for real
change in mind as they begin their deliberations. Empowering parents and
educators closest to the children, insisting on real accountability for
results, streamlining and placing more focus on proven programs, and
increasing resources in an intelligent and reasonable manner tied to the
reforms all work.  Adhering to these approaches can provide us an historic
opportunity for our children and our country. Let's seize it.

                                    ###

---End of forwarded statement---

FYI:

Contacting the White House: