[Hpn] Sleeping Ban Activists Vindicated: Letter by Evelyn Schoenfeld

Becky Johnson wmnofstl@cruzio.com
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 20:08:40 -0000

------=_NextPart_000_005F_01C0F50D.F08371A0

Thursday, June 14, 2001

To: Letters to the Editor, the Santa Cruz Sentinel

Re: Koffee Klatch 3 verdict

Dear Editor,

I recently testified at the Koffee Klatch 3 trial in which 3 activists =
for the homeless were accused of harassing the Mayor Fitzmaurice=92s =
receptionist, Anna Brooks. I was the oldest member of the City Hall =
Koffee Klatch, which sought to put Sleeping Ban repeal on the City =
Council agenda. It was obvious that the harassment charges were false =
and an attempt to prevent citizens from lobbying Mayor Fitzmaurice for a =
redress of government grievances. Homeless people need a safe and legal =
place to sleep. Thanks to Judge Stevens for dismissing the suit against =
Robert Norse, Becky Johnson, and Bernard Klitzner.

As evidence of harassment, Anna Brooks=92 declaration stated "one of =
Norse=92s band attempted to pilfer food from a donation barrel". The =
story is quite different. At trial, City staffer Suzanne Haberman =
testified that one day a hungry and homeless man asked her if he could =
have some food from the nearly full 2nd Harvest Donation barrel in the =
Mayor=92s office. Haberman refused the man any food.=20

He had every right to that food. This was not "pilfering", didn=92t =
involve the defendants or Anna Brooks.

Another unsubstantiated charge was "talking at the top of (our) lungs =
inches from staff" thus preventing her from performing her job. Anna =
testified at trial she was absent the day this occurred. As I testified, =
no voices were raised at any time. This was just one of the completely =
ridiculous charges that were made. Mayor Fitzmaurice, abrogate the =
Sleeping Ban and provide safe sleeping zones!

Sincerely,

Evelyn J. Schoenfeld

Santa Cruz, California

------=_NextPart_000_005F_01C0F50D.F08371A0

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><I>
<P align=3Dright>&nbsp;</P></I>
<P>Thursday, June 14, 2001</P>
<P>To: Letters to the Editor, the <I>Santa Cruz Sentinel</P></I>
<P>Re: Koffee Klatch 3 verdict</P>
<P>Dear Editor,</P>
<P>I recently testified at the <I>Koffee Klatch 3</I> trial in which 3 =
activists=20
for the homeless were accused of harassing the <B>Mayor =
Fitzmaurice</B>&rsquo;s=20
receptionist, <B>Anna Brooks</B>. I was the oldest member of the =
<EM>City Hall=20
Koffee Klatch</EM>, which sought to put Sleeping Ban repeal on the City =
Council=20
agenda. It was obvious that the harassment charges were false and an =
attempt to=20
prevent citizens from lobbying <B>Mayor Fitzmaurice</B> for a redress of =

government grievances. Homeless people need a safe and legal place to =
sleep.=20
Thanks to <B>Judge Stevens</B> for dismissing the suit against <B>Robert =

Norse</B>, <B>Becky Johnson</B>, and <B>Bernard Klitzner</B>.</P>
<P>As evidence of harassment, <B>Anna Brooks&rsquo;</B> declaration =
stated=20
&quot;one of Norse&rsquo;s band attempted to pilfer food from a donation =

barrel&quot;. The story is quite different. At trial, City staffer =
<B>Suzanne=20
Haberman</B> testified that one day a hungry and homeless man asked her =
if he=20
could have some food from the nearly full <I>2<SUP>nd</SUP> Harvest =
Donation</I>=20
barrel in the Mayor&rsquo;s office. <B>Haberman</B> refused the man any =
food.=20
</P>
<P>He had every right to that food. This was not &quot;pilfering&quot;,=20
didn&rsquo;t involve the defendants or <STRONG>Anna Brooks</STRONG>.</P>
<P>Another unsubstantiated charge was &quot;talking at the top of (our) =
lungs=20
inches from staff&quot; thus preventing her from performing her job. =
Anna=20
testified at trial she was absent the day this occurred. As I testified, =
no=20
voices were raised at any time. This was just one of the completely =
ridiculous=20
charges that were made. <B>Mayor Fitzmaurice</B>, abrogate the Sleeping =
Ban and=20
provide safe sleeping zones!</P>
<P>Sincerely,</P><B><FONT size=3D2>
<P>Evelyn J. Schoenfeld</P>
<P>Santa Cruz, California</P></FONT></B></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_005F_01C0F50D.F08371A0--