[Hpn] FW: Sisters Proclaim June Queer Pride Month

coh coh@sfo.com
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 13:19:28 -0700

----------
From: "Sister Kitty Catalyst O.C.P." <pusspusspuss@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 13:00:27 -0700 (PDT)
To: pusspuss@wetwetwet.com
Subject: Sisters Proclaim June Queer Pride Month

The Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence, Inc.
www.thesisters.org

June 14th, 2001

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contacts (NOT for publication):
Sister Bea Attitude, 415.826.6003,
  sisterbea@gay.com
Sister Kitty Catalyst, O.C.P., 415.255.6455,
  pusspuss@wetwetwet.com

SISTERS PROCLAIM JUNE "QUEER PRIDE MONTH!"

Drag Nuns Unite Where President Bush Fails

[San Francisco, California, USA] On June 2nd, George W. Bush's
administration announced that, unlike the Clinton administration, it would
not issue a proclamation of formal recognition of Gay Pride Month this June
nor would it sponsor an observance.

Since taking office, President Bush has issued declarations recognizing
Black History Month, Women's History Month, and Irish-American Heritage
Month.

On June 10th, The Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence, Inc., declared June 2001
and every June thereafter "Queer Pride Month." (text follows; downloadable
version available at our website www.thesisters.org)

"We understand that President Bush's job and political affiliation sometimes
require him to make difficult choices, like weather or not he should use his
authority as leader of the United States to recognize the value of millions
of human beings who, in spite of suffering spiritual and physical violence,
have, throughout history, made countless contributions to the world and
enriched life for everyone. That's a tough call," said Sister Bea Attitude,
Chairnun of the Board of the San Francisco Chapter of the Sisters of
Perpetual Indulgence, Inc. "Fortunately, his authority is not the highest
authority,"

"History has shown us that we don't need President Bush Junior to recognize
us to be our own fabulous selves," says Sister Kitty Catalyst, Mistress of
Archives for the Order, "We are perfect just the way we were born and no
matter who we love."

-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-

QUEER PRIDE MONTH EVERY JUNE

By The Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence, Inc.

A PROCLAMATION

WHEREAS; Transgender, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and all others labeled as Queer
Americans have made incredible, beautiful and lasting contributions to our
Nation in every field of endeavor. AND,

WHEREAS; Bull Dykes and Drag Queens led the 1969 Stonewall uprising in
Greenwich Village in New York City; overturning centuries of oppression,
fear and prejudice, leading to taking the streets in the early '70s with an
'in-your-face' attitude. Confronting the worst prejudices of a world that
didn't accept them, they fought back against these prejudices, reclaiming
the stereotypes about them and turning them into symbols of Queer Pride, AND

WHEREAS; Transgender, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and all others labeled as Queer
Americans are our wives and husbands, mothers and fathers, daughters and
sons, sisters and brothers, friends and lovers, teachers, co-workers,
colleagues and neighbors; and we have created and nurtured families with
Love and Respect, AND

WHEREAS; Transgender, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and all others labeled as Queer
Americans deserve equal rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness
as all Americans.

NOW, THEREFORE, WE, THE SISTERS OF PERPETUAL INDULGENCE, INC., 21ST Century
Nuns, by virtue of the authority invested in us by the Expiation of
Stigmatic Guilt and Promulgation of Universal Joy, do hereby proclaim June
2001 and every June hereafter as Queer Pride Month. We encourage all
Americans and World citizens to observe this month with fabulous programs,
ceremonies, parties, parades and fun-filled activities that celebrate our
diversity and recognize the Transgender, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and all
others labeled as Queer Americans whose many and varied contributions have
enriched our cultural and national life and improved the lives of people
throughout the world.

Be it proclaimed so this tenth day of June, in the year two thousand and
one.

The Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence, Inc.
San Francisco, California,
United States of America

                 -------------------

*When we state "queer" we are not just referring to our transgender,
bisexual, lesbian and gay communities. We also embrace communities that are
labeled "queer" by society based on stereotypes, discrimination, and often
face violence, regardless of how they look, act or dress or how others
perceived their sex or sexual orientation.  We have a vision that
encompasses diverse communities and groups that have a common interest in
human rights, people of every gender, gender identity, race, class, age, and
sexual orientation.
                     #    #     #

Transgender, Lesbian, Gay or Bisexual?
You are in good company

Roberta Achtenberg (President Clinton appointee),   Edward Albee
(playwright),    Alexander the Great (Emperor),    Pedro Almodovar (film
director),    Tom Ammiano (San Francisco Board of Supervisor's President),
Sasha Alyson (publisher),    W.H. Auden (writer),    Sir Francis Bacon
(writer),    Joan Baez (musician),    Josephine Baker (singer),    James
Baldwin (writer),    Tammy Baldwin (Wisconsin state legislator),    Deborah
Batts (federal judge),   Amanda Bearse (actress),    Andy Bell (musician),
Ruth Benedict (anthropologist),    Michael Bennett (choreographer),
Sandra Bernhardt (comic),    David Bowie (musician),    Rev. Malcolm Boyd
(Episcopal priest),    Keith Boykin (President Clinton aide),   Benjamin
Britten (composer),    Glenn Burke (pro baseball player),    Frank Buttino
(former FBI agent), Lord Byron (poet),    Julius Caesar (Emperor),
Margarethe Cammermeyer (National Guard Colonel),   Willa Cather (writer),
Margaret Cho (comedienne) , Jean Cocteau (artist),    Colette (writer),
Aaron Copland (composer),    Chief Crazy Horse,    George Cukor (film
director),    James Dean (actor),    Lea DeLaria (comedian/actress),
Melissa Etheridge (musician),    Angie Fa (San Francisco board of
education),    Harvey Fierstein (playwright),    Will Fitzpatrick (Rhode
Island state senator),    Errol Flynn (actor),    E.M. Forster (writer),
Congressman Barney Frank,    Frederick the Great (Emperor),    David Geffen
(music producer),    Boy George (singer/DJ),    Sir John Gielgud (actor),
Tim Gill (founder of Quark Inc.),    Allen Ginsberg (poet),    Lorraine
Hansberry (playwright),    Sherry Harris (Seattle city council),    Harry
Hay (Godfather of the Radical Faeries),    Bruce Hayes (Olympic swimmer),
Janis Ian (musician),    Indigo Girls (musicians),    Bob Jackson-Paris (pro
bodybuilder),  Henry James (writer),    King James I,    Elton John
(musician),    Frieda Kahlo (artist),    David Kopay (pro football player),
Sheila James Kuehl (attorney and former TV actress),    Tony Kushner
(playwright), k.d. lang (musician),    Simon LeVay (biologist),   Leonardo
da Vinci (artist),    Frederico Garcia Lorca (poet),    Greg Louganis
(Olympic diver),    Amy Lowell (poet),    Ian McKellen (actor),    John J.
McNeill (religious scholar),    W. Somerset Maugham (writer),    Keith
Meinhold (Navy officer),   Michelangelo (artist),    Edna St. Vincent Millay
(poet),    Yukio Mishima (writer),    Martina Navratilova (tennis champion),
Georgia O'Keefe (artist),    Dave Pallone (former baseball umpire),   Phranc
(folksinger),    Plato (philosopher),    Deb Price (newspaper columnist),
Marcel Proust (writer),    Kenneth Reeves (mayor of Cambridge
Massachusetts),    First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt,   RuPaul (supermodel),
Bayard Rustin (civil rights activist),    Sappho (poet),    Dick Sargent
(actor), May Sarton (writer),    Franz Schubert (composer),  Randy Shilts
(journalist),    Bessie Smith (singer), Socrates (philosopher),    Jimmy
Sommerville (singer),    Annie Sprinkle (sexologist),    Joseph Steffan
(Navy officer),    Gertrude Stein (writer),   Congressman Gerry Studds,
Sylvester (singer),   Peter Tchaikovsky (composer),    Dorothy Thompson
(journalist),    Alice B. Toklas (writer),    Gore Vidal (writer),    Tom
Waddell (Olympic decathelete), Andy Warhol (artist),    Walt Whitman
(writer),   Oscar Wilde (writer),    Tennessee Williams (playwright),
B.D. Wong (actor),    Virginia Woolf (writer),    Wu (Chinese Emperor),
Babe Didrikson Zaharias (pro golfer),    Joe Zuniga (former Army sergeant)

Since our founding in 1979, the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence, Inc. have
been a force for social activism in San Francisco and queer meccas
throughout the world.  Our common vows are to promulgate universal joy and
expiate stigmatic guilt. Our shared ministry is one of public manifestation
and habitual perpetration.  We pledge support to our fellow sisters toward
our personal and collective enlightenment.

The Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence, Inc. is 100% volunteer-driven
501 (c)(3) non-profit organization.