[Hpn] Pappas valedictory?:Sole graduate may be last for school

Morgan W. Brown morganbrown@hotmail.com
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 14:43:26 -0400

Below is a forward of another article regarding the Pappas School in Phoenix
Arizona, and the debate and battle in being waged in Congress regarding S.1
- ESEA and the Kyl "School Segregation" Amendment, provided as a yet another
follow-up -- FYI:

-------Forwarded article-------

Thursday, June 14, 2001
The Arizona Republic
[Phoenix, Arizona]
Pappas valedictory?
Sole graduate may be last for school
<http://www.arizonarepublic.com/arizona/articles/0614firstgrad14.html>

Mark Henle/The Arizona Republic

Pappas School senior Crystal Sumlin tries on her graduation cap for the
first time.

By Karina Bland
The Arizona Republic
June 14, 2001 12:00:00

Crystal Sumlin is all there is to the Class of 2001, graduating tonight from
the Thomas J. Pappas School for homeless children.

She is the school's first - and possibly last - graduate, depending on a
vote expected today in Congress to ban federal funding for homeless schools.
The school is under fire for segregating kids from their public school
peers.

"If it weren't for Pappas, I don't think I would have made it to
graduation," Sumlin said. "And I know I wouldn't be going to college." The
school, open for more than a decade, added a high school three years ago, so
its oldest students are juniors. But Sumlin, 17, who has almost straight A's
- she got a C in trigonometry - finished her coursework a year early.
Related Media
Click here for a slideshow of Crystal Sumlin's last day.

Despite the uproar in Congress over her school, Sumlin is thinking only of
finishing up a report on Arizona's unemployment rate and the new dress
she'll wear under her black cap and gown.

Sumlin, her three younger sisters and little brother have been at Pappas for
three years after a lifetime of switching schools. One year, she switched
schools seven times.

She said her family moves about every three months, usually because the rent
is too high, the landlord complains of too many kids, or her brother, Jason,
16 and in a detention center, sometimes gets into trouble.

But they've been in the same place since November, the longest most of the
kids remember without a move. They've lived in a shelter, cheap motels and
apartments.

"I hate moving," Sumlin said. "When I got older, I thought I wanted to
travel, but, now, I don't know. I think I'll find a place and stay in it."

Mark Henle/The Arizona Republic
Teacher Sean Spellecy looks over Sumlin's final assignment for her American
history class.

Eye on the ball

Shy at first, Sumlin starts talking and her plans spill out: Arizona State
University in the fall. Maybe a class this summer to start. She wants to be
an attorney.

School officials are helping her apply for financial aid and promising a
scholarship.

"I'm going to be somebody," she said.

She is determined, said Mary Michaelis, the school's student services
coordinator. And, unlike many kids at Pappas, Sumlin is pushed by her
mother, Velma Williams, to do well.

"She is too big on school, my mom is," Sumlin said. "She says I'm not going
to drop out if she has anything to do with it."

Mom helps out

Williams has everything to do with it. She volunteers at the school and
stops by regularly to check on her kids.

"I push my kids a little harder than most people push their kids so that
they make something of their lives and not have to work a job like I'm
working now," Williams said.

She works 40 to 50 hours for less than $300 a week, collecting bills for a
telemarketing company.

She knows about unpaid bills. Her phone doesn't work because she spent the
money on new shoes, stockings and a rented limousine for Pappas', and the
girls', first prom.

They'll eat bologna for a week.

She is raising six kids. Her oldest, Chris, 21, is on his own in school in
Seattle, with no government assistance and no child support. The kids have
no contact with their fathers.

All the kids need new shoes. She'll buy two pairs this week, two the week
after and two more after that.

"I have always taught them if you want something, you work for it," Williams
said. "You don't expect the next person to hand it to you."

Pappas picks up the slack

Pappas is the only place her kids have had a chance to do well, she said.
Now, no matter how often they move, they stay put at school - the same
teachers, the same friends.

It is the one stable thing in their lives, their mother said.

Most schools require kids to live within attendance boundaries or get there
on their own. Pappas buses travel hundreds of miles a day, picking up kids
wherever they live.

Kids can eat, get clothes and even medical treatment there.

Pappas could lose $850,000, almost two-thirds of its annual budget, if
Congress decides today to pull its federal funding.

Maricopa County Schools Superintendent Sandra Dowling said she'd come up
with the money somehow rather than lose the school at Fifth Avenue and Van
Buren Street.

Holding down the fort

Sumlin is in charge in her family's two-bedroom townhouse near 24th Street
and McDowell Road until Mom gets off work, sometimes 8 or 9 p.m.

In the long afternoons, she weaves complicated braids in her sisters' hair.
They listen to music, singing along with Mariah Carey.

"We don't have any vocal skills," Sumlin said, laughing. "But we do it
anyway."

Michael, 9, the youngest and only boy at home, has hazel eyes and
girlfriends in sixth and eighth grades. He wants to be a firefighter.

Report cards are out. The kids pass them proudly. Berry, a tubby Basset
hound, rolls belly up.

Sumlin cooks for the kids, often making spaghetti or chicken and
Rice-A-Roni.

She hopes her family stays put awhile, though she plans to live in a
dormitory at ASU.

Sumlin is nervous about going to college but said, "I think I'll be all
right as long as I can come home and visit."

No matter where home may be.

Reach the reporter at karina.bland@arizonarepublic.com or (602) 444-8614.

educational purposes only.**

-------End of forward-------