[Hpn] protest

unclescam unclescam@buskers.org
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 17:51:25 -0400

l hale says

               I'm mean, what the heck. No one will get the message, but
we'll have fun in the dark for a day.
                                        Subject: Roll Your Own Blackout
                                      Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 19:27:25
-0700
                                  ROLL YOUR OWN BLACKOUT THE FIRST DAY
OF SUMMER
                             JUNE 21, 2001 THURS EVE, 7-10pm worldwide,
all time zones
   As an alternative to George W. Bush's energy policies and lack of
emphasis on efficiency, conservation and alternative
  fuels, there will be a voluntary rolling blackout on the first day of
summer, June 21 at 7pm - 10pm in any time zone (this
  will roll it across the planet). Its a simple protest and a symbolic
act. Turn out your lights from 7pm-10pm on June 21.
 Unplug whatever you can unplug in your house. Light a candle, kiss and
tell or not, take a stroll in the dark, invent ghost
 stories, anything that's not electronic -have fun in the dark. Read the
1999 book "Natural Capitalism" by Hawken and Lovins
  to learn that conservation/high efficiency technologies already ARE
on-the-shelf. If implemented these revolutionary ideas
   would pay themselves off within five years, after which we'd be
pumping far less greenhouse gas into the atmosphere and
    saving bucks to boot. Forward this email as widely as possible, to
your government representatives and environmental
 contacts. Let them know we want global education, participation and
funding in conservation, efficiency and alternative fuel
  efforts -- and an end to over-exploitation and misuse of the earth's
resources. Anyone knows that the Cheney-Bush team is
     blowing smoke when they tell us that "... conservation can't help,
it'll just be too expensive to implement those
 technologies..." While on the other hand, technology to develop and
deploy weapons to blow incoming ICBMs out of the sky is
                                               easy to come by.