[Hpn] Latest school suspension for 'threatening behavior'

Graeme Bacque graeme.bacque@3web.net
Mon, 04 Jun 2001 09:31:35 -0400

Monday, June 4, 2001 The Toronto Sun

So who kicked out boy for fowl play?
By CP

YARMOUTH, N.S. -- Nova Scotia school board officials are hoping to find out
tomorrow why a student was suspended from school for pointing a chicken
finger and saying "Bang."

"I don't know who made the decision, and I won't know until Tuesday, when
we meet," said Robie Atkinson, a school board member and chairman of the
Tri-County district education committee. "I don't know why that child was
ever suspended. I have had several people mention it to me. They just think
it's ridiculous."

Billy Barnes, 8, was told to stay home for a day after he pointed the lunch
item at classmates on May 23 at Ragged Island Consolidated School in
southern Nova Scotia.

A couple of months earlier, Billy was suspended for a day after he pointed
his finger and said, "Bang." School principal Robert Sullivan couldn't be
reached for comment.

Billy's mother, Rhonda Barnes, said her son is a typically rambunctious
eight-year-old who was playing when he pointed his finger, and later the
breaded chicken finger.