[Hpn] ADA & Olmstead March & Rally;Montpelier VT;7/23/01 Report;& background info FYI

Morgan W. Brown morganbrown@hotmail.com
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 15:29:14 -0400

I have been waiting for the Homeless People's Network (HPN) list to become
active again, once the glitch was fixed, to send along the following
American with Disabilities Act (ADA) & Olmstead Vermont march & rally
report, and background information about it, to the HPN list.

The below includes is in fact two e-mails in one, which is what I had sent
out to others previously.

Following that are some Web addresses for additional informational resources
on the ADA & Olmstead -- as well as Web sites focusing on the ADA & Housing
for people with disabilities --  for those who may require them -- FYI.

Morgan <morganbrown@hotmail.com>
Morgan W. Brown
Montpelier Vermont

~~~FYI:

American with Disabilities Act (ADA) - Olmstead March & Rally
Montpelier Vermont
Monday, July 23, 2001

Report to HPN:

On Monday, July 23, 2001 an ADA - Olmstead march and rally was held in
Montpelier Vermont.

For over three hours each, I participated with others in two days of prep
work for the march and rally. Plus I and others worked doing more prep for
nearly three hours just prior to the march and rally too.

First we made posters and then the next day we made props. Some of the signs
I made focused on housing and homelessness. The prop I built was a big
cardboard house which I painted. I had put two bigs signs on either side of
the roof that read: "WE WANT HOUSING NOW!" as well. I carried my "affordable
housing" - with me inside it - dancing to music-(when the heat was not too
over bearing) during our march down State Street to the State House grounds
from the Vermont Center for Independent Living where we started.

It was great. I enjoyed being a part of it. It was fun too. The rally
organizers, as well as everyone who participated in the rally one way or
another, have much to be proud of.

Below is a forward of the news script that WCAX-TV (Channel 3 - Burlington
Vermont) ran toward the end of their six (6) pm news cast that evening
(Monday, July 23, 2001) regarding the ADA - Olmstead march and rally which
may be of interest.

I did not get to watch the WCAX news cast myself, but checked their Web site
for the news script. There was nothing listed in their 11 pm news cast
script about the march and rally however.

I did manage to find a TV to watch for the first ten minutes of the WCAX -
CH 3 and WVNY - CH 22 news broadcast. While channel 3 (WCAX) did not show
their segment on the rally until late into their six pm news, channel 22
(WVNY) featured it at about the eight (8) or nine (9) minute mark.

The WVNY - channel 22 segment on the rally was very good in my opinion. They
covered it well and at some length. Though channel 22 <HTTP:
www.abc22.com>does have a Web site up, it is site under construction and
does not offer any content or their news script or coverage yet however.

In their newspaper Web versions available online, I did not find any
articles at the Burlington Free Press, Rutland Herald or Times Argus Web
sites about the rally.

-------Forwarded news script -------

WCAX - TV 3 <HTTP: www.wcax.com>- Burlington VT
Monday, July 23, 2001
6 P.M. News Script

<HTTP: tv3.wcax.com cgi-bin roma.cgi?d="1&h=3">
--snip, snip, snip--

40} DISABILITY_R_UP
Disability rights took center stage today at the State House. Several groups
marched down state street on the 11th anniversary of the signing of the
Americans with Disability Act. The group praised that legislation that gave
them more freedom but they also called on lawmakers to earmark more money in
the state budget toward their causes--so they can live their lives more
independently. ((Morgan Brown/Advocate for Homeless "We need housing. We
don't need studies. We don't need talk. Where do you want to live ask them
where they want to live say that's what we want. We want the kind of housing
that you take for granted")) ((Deborah Lisi-Baker "Vermont prides itself on
its committment to community services with people with disabilties but we
have a long way to go to be ready for the 21st century. In Vermont people
are entiteled to nursing home care but there is not the same committment and
entitlement to community services and that is reflected in the Governor's
budget, there is only a small amount of money for community services
compared to what committed to nursing homes")) Speakers at the rally say
they wanted to be treated equally....and want the labels to go away. They
are asking the public to give them a chance.

--snip, snip, snip--

Background information -- FYI:

What, when, where & contact information in brief:

Rally in Montpelier to Demand Basic Independent Living Services in Place of
Nursing homes, Institutions, and Forced Treatment

Marking the 11th anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act
1990 - 2001

July 23, 2001

March and Rally at the State House Lawn in Montpelier

11:30: March from VCIL across Main Street, down State Street, to the State
House Lawn!

12- 1:30: Rally at the State House Lawn, with food, music, signs, noise, and
fun!

Joint Project of:

Vermont Center for Independent Living
Green Mountain Self-Advocates
Green Mountain ADAPT
Vermont Psychiatric Surviors
Vermont Self-Determination Project

For more information, call

1-888-268-4860 (SDP)
1-800-639-1522 (VCIL)
1-800-564-2106 (VPS)
1-800-564-9990 (GMSA)

Check out the flyer available online:

Rally in Montpelier July 23rd:

http://www.vcil.org/flyerforrally.html

~~~Hosted at:

Vermont Center for Independent Living (VCIL):

http://www.vcil.org/

Below is a forward of a news brief published in the Burlington Free Press
about the rally. Following that is a forward of the rally flyer which is
available online.

-------Forwarded News Brief-------

Wednesday, July 18, 2001
Burlington Free Press <http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com>
[Vermont]
Local News
In Brief -- Here are news briefs from around Vermont.
<http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/bfpnews/local/wednesday/3000h.htm>
[Note: Scroll down to the second item down]

Disabled-rights rally to be held Monday

MONTPELIER -- A rally Monday aims to draw attention to the rights of the
disabled.

The rally will go from East State Street to the Statehouse lawn starting at
11:30 a.m. It marks the 11th anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities
Act. It is a joint project of the Vermont Center for Independent Living,
Green Mountain Self-Advocates, Green Mountain ADAPT, Vermont Psychiatric
Survivors and the Vermont Self-Determination Project.

For more information, call (888) 268-4860, (800) 639-1522 or (800) 564-2106.

---End of forward news brief---

-------Forwarded Flyer for 7/23/01 Rally-------

Rally in Montpelier July 23rd
<http://www.vcil.org/flyerforrally.html>

Rally in Montpelier to Demand Basic Independent Living Services in Place of
Nursing homes, Institutions, and Forced Treatment
Americans with Disabilities Act 1990 - 2001

A JOINT PROJECT OF
Vermont Center for Independent Living
Green Mountain Self-Advocates
Green Mountain ADAPT
Vermont Psychiatric Surviors
Vermont Self-Determination Project

The Olmstead Decision requires that all states must create a way to make
sure that people get a choice to live in the most integrated setting.

Vermont MUST develop a Community Integration Plan.

1. People must be told that they have options.

2. People in nursing homes, institutions and group homes must be told they
have a right to live in the community.

3. There must be a timetable (waiting list) for getting people back into
their communities. Real choices and self-determination mean no more forced
treatment, full accessibility and the right to funding for real community
choices.

Things you can do to help!

Visit, call, or write Rep. Sanders,. Senators Leahy and Jeffords, or your
local state legislators to ask them to support Olmstead.

There were two women with disabilities in Georgia who lived in an
institution. They wanted to live in the community. They believed their lives
would be better in the community.
They were denied the right to move, so they got a lawyer. They looked at the
Americans with Disabilities Act that says we ALL have the same rights. They
believed that we all have the right to live in our community.

Taking it to court...
They went all the way to the Supreme Court. The Supreme Court agreed! So did
the federal government.

"The Olmstead Decision defines our mission... NO American should have to
live in a nursing home or in a state institution if that individual can live
in the community with the right mix of affordable supports... It's up to all
of us to work together - and I mean together - to implement this ruling as
quickly as possible."
- Donna Shalala, Secretary, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
Taking it to the community...
We come together to call for an end to forced treatment, full accessibility,
and real choices and self-determination for people with disabilities.

July 23
March and Rally at the State House Lawn in Montpelier
11:30: March from VCIL across Main Street, down State Street, to the State
House Lawn!
12- 1:30: Rally at the State House Lawn, with food, music, signs, noise, and
fun!

For more information, call

1-888-268-4860 (SDP)
1-800-639-1522 (VCIL)
1-800-564-2106 (VPS)
1-800-564-9990 (GMSA)

---End of forwarded rally flyer---

For more information on the American with Disabilities Act (ADA) & Olmstead:

Olmstead v. LC
US Supreme Court Decision:

http://supct.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/98-536.ZS.html

The Olmstead Decision and Housing:  Opportunity Knocks;
Opening Doors
A HOUSING PUBLICATION FOR THE DISABILITY COMMUNITY
DECEMBER 2000 / ISSUE 12:

http://www.c-c-d.org/od-dec00.htm

Opening Doors:

www.c-c-d.org/doors.html

Consortium for Citizens with Disabilities (CCD) Housing Task Force's
Comments on the U.S. Housing and Urban Development's (HUD's) Strategic Plan,
FY 2001-2006:

http://www.c-c-d.org/hud_strategic_plan.htm

CCD Housing Task Force:

http://www.c-c-d.org/tf-housing.htm

New Freedom Initiatives - Disability
Most Integrated Setting - The Olmstead Decision;
US Health & Human Services Office for Civil Rights:

http://www.os.dhhs.gov/ocr/mis.htm

Investing in Independence:
Transition Recommendations for President George W. Bush;
National Council on Disability (NCD); January 2001:

http://www.ncd.gov/newsroom/publications/bush.html

National Disability Policy:
A Progress Report
November 1999-November 2000
June 14, 2001; NCD:

http://www.ncd.gov/newsroom/publications/progressreport2000.html

National Council on Disability:

http://www.ncd.gov/

ADA Watch!:

http://www.adawatch.org/

Department of Justice ADA Home Page:

http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/adahom1.htm

Americans with Disabilities Act Document Center:

http://janweb.icdi.wvu.edu/kinder/

ADA Technical Assistance:

http://www.adata.org/

Disability.gov:

http://www.disability.gov

Americans with Disabilities Act/Olmstead Decision
US Health Care Financing Administration:

http://www.hcfa.gov/medicaid/olmstead/olmshome.htm

National Conference of State Legislatures Olmstead Status Report:

http://www.ncsl.org/programs/health/forum/olmsreport.htm

The ADA, Olmstead, Your State, and You:

http://disabilities.about.com/library/weekly/aa041201a.htm?once=true&

ADA, Olmstead & Bush;
Justice For All Web site:

http://www.jfanow.org/cgi/getli.pl?1299

[Bush] Administration Announces Nationwide Effort to Remove Barriers to
Community Living for People with Disabilities:
Remarks by HHS Secretary Tommy G. Thompson at Press Conference
Regarding "Fulfilling the Promise of Americans With Disabilities Act":
Wednesday, July 25, 2001:

http://www.hhs.gov/news/press/2001pres/20010725c.html

ADA Protections for People with Mental Disabilities;
Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law:

http://www.bazelon.org/ada.html

Access to Housing:
Fair Housing Issues;
Bazelon:

http://www.bazelon.org/housing.html

Olmstead v. L.C.;
Bazelon:

http://www.bazelon.org/olmstead.html

Prohibiting Discrimination in the Provision of Public Benefits and Services
 Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act;
Bazelon:

http://www.bazelon.org/adatitl2.html

LC vs Olmstead;
National Association of Protection and Advocacy, Inc (NAPAS):

http://www.protectionandadvocacy.com/lcolmste.html

~~~NAPAS: http://www.protectionandadvocacy.com

Olmstead and the ADA's Integration Mandate;
National Association for Rights Protection and Advocacy:

http://www.connix.com/~narpa/olmstead.htm

FREEDOM: Olmstead, ADA:

http://www.networksplus.net/fhp/madnation/freedom/

-- Note: MadNation is sadly no longer an active Web site, but its many high
quality informative pages are still available in archival format.

Introduction:
ADA s Most Integrated Setting Requirement:
Olmstead v. L.C:

http://www.os.dhhs.gov/ocr/olmintro.htm

ADAPT:

http://www.adapt.org

Vermont ADA Coalition:

http://www.vtada.org/

educational purposes only.**

-------End of forward-------

Morgan <morganbrown@hotmail.com>
Morgan W. Brown
Montpelier Vermont USA

Looking for news and information about homelessness?
Visit the Homeless People's Network (HPN)
for CONSTANTLY UPDATING NEWS on Homeless People:

Over 10,000 articles by or via homeless & ex-homeless people
Been Homeless? Then JOIN! EMAIL Tom Boland <wgcp@earthlink.net>