[Hpn] Re: whu~* My friend died yesteday

Blazing Star sananda@hotmail.com
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 09:52:13 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_33dc_5c29_b56

My condolences, brother. I found my best friend dead, in his sleeping bag,
but he wanted to live. He died peacefully, in his sleep, and I was happy for
that.

His name was Arthur Hammond, and although homeless, he was the greatest man,
and the greatest Christian, I ever met. He smoked and quit, too late.

Art helped me start the American Homeless Society (AHS), during the
Eighties, in Arcata, California. A stranger organized a memorial for my dear
friend, after his death. T stranger, also a friend of Art, was Larry
Goldberg, businessman and owner of Northcoast Internet, in Eureka CA.

Due to Goldberg's friendship with Art, the businessman offered to help AHS
(the homeless) by letting us onto the Internet, and here we are on the
Internet, still, today. Due to Goldberg's friendship with Art, AHS was also
able to start the World Homeless Union (WHU), and here we are, still, today.

I will always love and remember Art, as his spirit inspires my sons and I to
carry on, still, today. We were miserably homeless all across the country,
before winding up in Arcata like a roulette ball, and meeting this most
loving and gentle local homeless man whose father was once the district
attorney of Humboldt County.

Art helped us when no one else would. He prayed with us, and protected us
like an angel, too.

AHS and WHU do not panhandle, on or offline. We work for the homeless, for
free, from our hearts and own wallets because we have been there, and know
exactly what you are talking about re "charities."

It is not the almighty dollar that hurts the homeless, so much as the
worship of the almighty dollar. Those who worship money will do anything for
it, including letting and forcing us, to die on the streets like dogs.
Actually, the humane society is more kind to animals than many shelters are,
to the homeless, as you know.

I will never give these godless beasts the satisfaction of surrendering the
good fight, however. I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees,
like my dearest friend, Art, and so many others that have fought the good
fight before us.

We may not think much about our own lives, but we should think everything
about the lives of our children and their offspring. If we give up the good
fight, in our lives, we are hurting them, too.

I will never hurt mine or anyone's children, if I can help it, brother. Our
children are like little angels, to me.

This is my reason for living, and a mighty good one, I do believe. I will
fight the good fight, to my dying breath, and pray you, and all our true
brothers and sisters do, too. paz-amor, ruben