[Hpn] Re: New Project Idea and more

Dgreensilva1@cs.com Dgreensilva1@cs.com
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 17:52:06 EDT

Mike, I'm blind copying this to a few others, mostly greens with interests in
human rights of the homeless.
I think it's a great idea.  MY tenendcy would be to incorporate it into a
week long series of events- 1. A TEACH-IN with testimony from the homeless
and representatives from neighborhoods associations. 2.  A SLEEP OUT- where
we all sleep in our front yards in support of the right to sleep.  3.  A
SLEEP BAG AN TENT ROUND-UP- where we hand them out in a festive atmosphere.
4.  A series of Press Conferences before and wafter each event in that one
week.  5. We need to get FRED KEELEY inbvolved-  I suggest Santa Cruz be the
host for a state-wide Sleeping While Homeless Summit.
Also maybe this would be all good to do during the Santa Cruz BEACHFEST.
Also we need to have something up and ready to go for when the students are
in their second week at UCSC- the teach-in perhaps
In a message dated 7/26/01 11:13:13 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
Schmidtceo@aol.com writes:

<< Subj:    New Project Idea
 Date:  7/26/01 11:13:13 AM Pacific Daylight Time
 From:  Schmidtceo@aol.com

 MMG Members,

 I have been taking some time off and using the time to rethink what we can
do to help homeless people before the rains come in the fall. Here is an idea
I would like to have you take under consideration and maybe we could discuss
on Monday, August 6th at 8 am at the Homeless Resource Center.

 Since we wanted to do something before the rains came please consider the
following idea:

 Tents and Sleeping Bags for the Homeless Project
 At the second City Council Meeting in September we request that all
residents who want to help homeless people get through the winter months that
they bring to City Council on Sept. 25 their old sleeping bags and tents to
be distributed to homeless people who are without shelter.

 With any luck we could help generate public support for the homeless and at
the sometime put much needed pressure on the City Council to act.  If we got
a good reception from the community and collected a lot of sleeping bags and
tents we could use this public support to pressure the City Council into
action.

 What do you think?

 Michael >>