[Hpn] NIMBY; NOPE; Definitions; &, Informational URL's re: Homelessness

Morgan W. Brown morganbrown@hotmail.com
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 17:40:03 -0400

Note: Recipient list undisclosed

An individual on the CSF Homeless Discussion list
<http://csf.colorado.edu/mail/homeless/> had requested information on " ...
other communities' approaches to the NIMBY problem."

Below is a reformatted version of my response to someone else's response to
that initial post which I thought would be of interest to you and others
whom you know.

Morgan <morganbrown@hotmail.com>
Morgan W. Brown
Montpelier Vermont

~~~FYI:

<http://csf.colorado.edu/mail/homeless/2001/msg00381.html>:

But first, a definitions of the term -- NIMBY:

>From the American HeritageŽ Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth
Edition.  2000.

NIMBY

SYLLABICATION: NIMˇBY

PRONUNCIATION: http://www.bartleby.com/61/12.html

NOUN: Inflected forms: pl. NIMˇBYs

Slang One who objects to the establishment in one's neighborhood of
projects, such as incinerators, prisons, or homeless shelters, that are
believed to be dangerous, unsightly, or otherwise undesirable.

ETYMOLOGY: n(ot) i(n) m(y) b(ack) y(ard)

Source: The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language:

http://www.bartleby.com/61/93/N0109300.html

NIMBY regarding homelessness:

Civil Rights of Homeless People:

http://www.nlchp.org/cvlrght.htm

-- This National Law Center on Homelessness & Poverty (NLCHP) page includes
information on NIMBY & related matters.

National Low Income Housing Coalition: The NIMBY Report:

http://www.nlihc.org/nimby/

GCA Strategies - Article: The NIMBY Report:

http://www.gcastrategies.com/article_nc_2.html

GCA Strategies - NIMBY Notes:

http://www.gcastrategies.com/nimbynotes.html

-- Would you like to receive regular NIMBY Notes updates via e-mail?
   Please let us know your address(es): Send your request for NIMBY    Notes
to: gca@gcastrategies.com

New Reports on Barriers Faced by Homeless People and Service
National Housing Law Project
Housing Law Bulletin:

http://www.nhlp.org/html/hlb/198/198reports.htm

(LT) Examining the Issues Behind NIMBY Positions
Society: For seven years, UCI assistant professor
has studied opposition:

http://www.aegis.com/news/lt/1997/LT970402.html

National Homeless Civil Rights Organizing Project
National Coalition for the Homeless (NCH):

http://www.nationalhomeless.org/nhcrop.html

Facts about Homelessness
National Coalition for the Homeless (NCH):

http://www.nationalhomeless.org/facts.html

~~~Related useful articles, columns, information & resources:

Spimy And Psien Could Solve The Nimby Problem
Column by Ed Quillen
(Published December 19, 1993 in the Denver Post):

http://www.custerguide.com/quillen/eqcols/1993C196.htm

Content of Character
August 23, 2000
City Governments Hurt Rather Than Help Homeless
by Jonathan Chisdes:

http://www.chisdes.com/homeless.html

Commentary
S.F. Daily Papers Pit Middle Class Against Homeless
by Ben Clarke:

http://www.media-alliance.org/mediafile/19-1/homeless.html

NIMBY, NIMBY, NIMBY
Residents cry environmental hazard, but is that really their beef?
By Mike Tobin:

http://www.clevescene.com/issues/2000-06-29/news.html

Key Staff attends Homeless Summit, Part 2
What we heard... :

http://www.the-key.org/summit2.htm

How Do We Contribute to the Homeless Problem?:

http://www.psychologyhelp.com/viol175.htm

Lecture for NIMBY Pride Week
Satire
Hephilia Nostrum Lectures the Wives Club,
November 1, 1998:

http://216.254.0.2/~anitra/writing/humor/hephilia.html

Homeless Organizing Project (HOPE):

http://www.afsc.org/pdesc/pd299.htm

Hayes National Homeless (NHP) Plan:

http://members.aol.com/homeless/n-plan.html

BTW (By The Way): Some of us in the psychiatric survivor-(see below* for
definition) movement have another term for what is sometimes called NIMBY
(Not In My Back Yard) by default.

The term is NOPE -- which stands for "Not On Planet Earth". I do not
remember who is supposed to have originally coined the term NOPE however.

NOPE is more in keeping with how the rather rigid, hardcore and extreme
attitudes we face actually are, what they are about and then how these
attitudes manifest themselves in various ways including the resulting public
policies and action against people who are unwanted and distained. For an
example of what it is like according to a psychiatric survivor activist-(now
deceased), go to "To be a mental patient":

http://www.connix.com/~narpa/to_be_a_Mental_Patient.htm

* So what does the term psychiatric survivor really mean?:

What is meant by the phrase "Psychiatric Survivor"?

     "the term "psychiatric survivor" is not ... used like "cancer
survivor," someone who has had cancer and survived it. ... it's ... used
like "Holocaust survivor," an individual who has been unjustly
imprisoned and even tortured. " E. Fuller Torrey, Psychiatrist

-- from:

Frequently asked Questions about Psychiatry, Psychology and
Mental Illness

http://www.mentalhealthfacts.com/psychqanda.html

---End of forward---

Morgan <morganbrown@hotmail.com>