[Hpn] NATIONAL AFFORDABLE HOUSING TRUST FUND

Virginia Sellner wch@vcn.com
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 10:02:21 -0600

Wyoming Coalition for the Homeless
907 Logan Avenue
Cheyenne, WY 82001-5247
307-634-8499 phone
307-634-9089 fax
email:  wch@vcn.com
web page:  http://www.vcn.com/~wch

Forwarded Message:
 To: Kim Schaffer <Kim@NLIHC.org
 From: Kim Schaffer <Kim@NLIHC.org
 Subject: National Housing Trust Fund Legislation to be introduced in
Senat
 Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 09:50:39 -0400
 -----

  Hello to all campaign supporters!

  Once again, the National Housing Trust Fund Campaign brings you an
update
  of campaign activity to let you know our efforts continue to move
forward
  with great momentum:

  *	On Wednesday, July 25, the Senate version of the National Housing
  Trust Fund Act will be introduced.  We expect that at least 12
Senators
  will co-sponsor the Act--Sens. Kerry (D-MA), Chafee (R-RI), Dayton
(D-MN),
  Durbin (D-IL), Feinstein (D-CA), Jeffords (I-VT), Leahy (D-VT),
Milkulski
  (D-MD), Reed (D-RI), Sarbanes (D-MD), Schumer (D-NY), Stabenow (D-MI),
and
  Wellstone (D-MN). If your Senators are not both on this bill, please
  continue to call their offices and speak to their housing aides.  A
list
  of housing aides and telephone numbers is attached.

  *	The Campaign will hold a press conference at 1:30 pm on Wednesday in
  Room 428A of the Russell Senate Office Building.   If your local paper
has
  a DC bureau, you may want to encourage the reporter to attend this
event
  for the latest update on the trust fund!  Attached also is a press
release
  for use with your local housing reporters.

  *	HR 2349, the House version of the National Housing Trust Fund Act
  now has 57 co-sponsors--10 more than when the bill was introduced less
  than a month ago.

  *	Our last efforts to get press across the country were quite
  successful.  We had AP coverage, a positive editorial in the Denver
Post,
  articles in papers in Ohio, Wyoming, Maryland, Missouri, and Oregon
among
  others, and made the TV news in Arizona and Missouri markets!

  *	The National Housing Trust Fund Campaign now has 920
  supporters--that's an increase of almost 150 groups in the past
month.

  So, what are the next steps?

  *	Please, continue to contact your Senators and Representatives and
  ask for their support for a National Housing Trust Fund bill, and
report
  the results of your contacts to kim@nlihc.org.  You can find sample
  letters, a current list of sponsors, and other up-to-date information
at
  www.nhtf.org.  We'll be posting the Senate bill number as soon as we
  receive it, to make referencing the bill easier when you talk to your
  Senator's office.

  *	We also encourage you to use the upcoming Congressional recess  (Aug
  3-Sept 4) to meet with your legislators to impress upon them the need
for
  a National Housing Trust Fund.  It is imperative that we use the next
few
  months to increase the base of support that is growing across the
country!

  *	You can also pass this information to other groups and encourage
  them to endorse the campaign at www.nhtf.org

  Thanks for all your hard work. We are making great progress and look
  forward to working with you as the Campaign moves forward!

  If you do not wish to receive future campaign updates, please reply to
  kim@nlihc and ask to be taken off of the list.

   <<Senate contacts.doc  <<Trust Fund Local Release #2.doc