[Hpn] Information Request: State Housing & Homeless Trust's & Tax Check-off's

Morgan W. Brown morganbrown@hotmail.com
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 11:13:32 -0400

In Vermont, the legislature's Joint Housing committee will be convening
shortly.

Committee schedule:

http://www.leg.state.vt.us/schedule/agenda-d.cfm?Session=2002&MeetingID=14723

The Joint Housing committee is an interim committee, which means it is a
committee that meets when the part-time citizen state legislature is not in
session.

Act 62 (H. 483), passed by the legislature in this session just prior to
them going home for the year, extended the Joint Housing Committee for four
more years until July 1, 2005.

Act 62 (H. 483) - An Act to Stimulate the Development of Affordable Housing
- As Enacted:

http://www.leg.state.vt.us/docs/2002/acts/ACT062.HTM

Act 62 (H.483) Summary:
Affordable Housing Development:

http://www.leg.state.vt.us/docs/2002/acts/ACT062.SUM

I hope to follow-up with additional information this year with the committee
on an idea I proposed to last year's Joint Housing committee -- during their
final meeting then. I actually will seek to build on and enhance that
proposal if I can.

Last year what I proposed to them was: "Morgan Brown,Concerned Homeless
Citizen, Montpelier, suggested funding for affordable housing could be
increased by adding a check-off box on the Vermont tax form, with the
proceeds to go to funding affordable housing and homelessness prevention
initiatives." Minutes, Joint Housing Committee, December 28, 2000 meeting,
page 5 of 6.

Since then, in some preliminary research I have done online, I came along at
least one state which has a check-off box for a person filing their state
taxes to use to contribute an amount determined by them to a state trust set
up for affordable housing and homeless prevention efforts. Of course there
is also the national effort to pass legislation to set up a national
affordable housing trust fund as well. My thinking is that if a federal
trust affordable housing trust fund is set up, that it would be good for
state's to have one as well.

Anyway, what I am seeking is information-(that is accessible online)
about state's where either or both a trust fund and a state tax form
check-off box for such proposes already exists or is beginning to be
implemented or planned. I will be doing additional research of my own of
course, but do I know I might not be able to find everything out there on my
own.

What would be extremely helpful to my efforts here, is if anyone - so
inclined - who is living or working in a state where either or both of the
above exist, would please send me the Web addresses for where I can access
this information for their state.

Thank you in advance.

Morgan <morganbrown@hotmail.com>
Morgan W. Brown
Montpelier Vermont USA

Looking for news and information about homelessness?
Visit the Homeless People's Network (HPN)
for CONSTANTLY UPDATING NEWS on Homeless People: