[Hpn] Police Bust Expected: Civil Disobedience Planned

Becky Johnson wmnofstl@cruzio.com
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 22:04:22 -0000

------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C104D5.65E5F900

Camp Paradise

Update: Wednesday, July 04, 2001

Police Bust Expected

Civil Disobedience Planned

Santa Cruz, Ca. =96 Preparations for the arrival of the Santa Cruz City =
Police are in full swing as the campers at Camp Paradise were told today =
by Homeless Resource Officer Eric Seilley that ticketing would begin on =
July 5th. "We had a deal with the City to stay a little longer and that =
we would be helped to find a place to go," said camp founder, Larry =
Templeton. "But now we are told the City Council has given no such =
direction to the police, so we expect ticketing to begin on July 5th =
with arrests and camp destruction 24 to 48 hours later."

Supporters are asked to bring empty boxes, plastic crates, and garbage =
bags.

Legal help, trucks and vehicles, and gasoline are all requested.

While Campers move out irreplacable items, many are staying to be =
ticketed, and ultimately arrested. Under MC 6.36.010 section C, setting =
up a campsite with the intention of spending the night is a $54 crime. =
This section is enforced 24 hours a day. While a ticket is an =
infraction, if campers refuse to move and are ticketed again within 24 =
hours, they will be arrested on a misdemeanor and taken to jail. "Where =
we will all plead "not guilty" demand a public defender and a jury trial =
using the necessity defense," explained Templeton. "For many of these =
people, there is no place for them to go to."

Vice-Mayor Christopher Krohn told KSBW the camp must be destroyed =
because of lack of sanitary facilities. Campers later saw Krohn =
urinating under the Highway One Bridge.

Homeless mother, Toni, was taken to Dominican Hospital today to deliver =
her second child. She, her husband, their 4 year-old son, and now =
newborn baby will have no place to live once the camp is destroyed. =
"Mayor Fitzmaurice married me on April 22, 2000," she reports.

Some supporters are moving in to join those who are ticketed and =
arrested.=20

"All are welcome," said Templeton.=20

Supporters are asked to call Mayor Tim Fitzmaurice at (831) 420-5020 and =
urge him to allow the camp to stay until another site is found. E-mail =
at citycouncil@ci.santa-cruz.ca.us or fax at (831) 420-5011. Please cc: =
at campparadise@hotmail.com=20

Directions to Camp Paradise: From Ocean St., Take Felker St. (near =
Denny=92s Restaurant) all the way to the end. Walk up the levee ramp =
onto the river levee. Take the first dirt path to the right & walk under =
the Highway One Bridge on the East Side of the river. Continue on up the =
path about 500 yds to the footbridge over the goldfish pond. Welcome to =
Camp Paradise!

For more info: Camp Paradise c/o Larry Templeton115 Coral St. Santa =
Cruz, Ca. 95060

Message # (831) 458-6020 ext. 105 or contact Becky Johnson at =
wmnofstl@cruzio.com=20

------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C104D5.65E5F900

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><I><FONT size=3D7>
<P align=3Dcenter>Camp Paradise</P></I></FONT><FONT size=3D4>
<P align=3Dcenter>Update: Wednesday, July 04, 2001</P></FONT><FONT=20
size=3D1></FONT><B><FONT size=3D7>
<P align=3Dcenter>Police Bust Expected</P></FONT><FONT size=3D5>
<P align=3Dcenter>Civil Disobedience Planned</P></B></FONT><FONT=20
size=3D4></FONT><FONT size=3D3>
<P>Santa Cruz, Ca. &ndash; Preparations for the arrival of the <I>Santa =
Cruz=20
City Police</I> are in full swing as the campers at <I>Camp Paradise</I> =
were=20
told today by <B>Homeless Resource Officer Eric Seilley</B> that =
ticketing would=20
begin on July 5<SUP>th</SUP>. &quot;We had a deal with the City to stay =
a little=20
longer and that we would be helped to find a place to go,&quot; said =
camp=20
founder, <B>Larry Templeton</B>. &quot;But now we are told the City =
Council has=20
given no such direction to the police, so we expect ticketing to begin =
on July=20
5<SUP>th</SUP> with arrests and camp destruction 24 to 48 hours =
later.&quot;</P>
<P>Supporters are asked to bring empty boxes, plastic crates, and =
garbage=20
bags.</P>
<P>Legal help, trucks and vehicles, and gasoline are all requested.</P>
<P>While Campers move out irreplacable items, many are staying to be =
ticketed,=20
and ultimately arrested. Under MC 6.36.010 section C, setting up a =
campsite with=20
the intention of spending the night is a $54 crime. This section is =
enforced 24=20
hours a day. While a ticket is an infraction, if campers refuse to move =
and are=20
ticketed again within 24 hours, they will be arrested on a misdemeanor =
and taken=20
to jail. &quot;Where we will all plead &quot;not guilty&quot; demand a =
public=20
defender and a jury trial using the necessity defense,&quot; explained=20
Templeton. &quot;For many of these people, there is no place for them to =
go=20
to.&quot;</P>
<P>Vice-Mayor Christopher Krohn told KSBW the camp must be destroyed =
because of=20
lack of sanitary facilities. Campers later saw Krohn urinating under the =
Highway=20
One Bridge.</P>
<P>Homeless mother, Toni, was taken to Dominican Hospital today to =
deliver her=20
second child. She, her husband, their 4 year-old son, and now newborn =
baby will=20
have no place to live once the camp is destroyed. &quot;Mayor =
Fitzmaurice=20
married me on April 22, 2000,&quot; she reports.</P>
<P>Some supporters are moving in to join those who are ticketed and =
arrested.=20
</P>
<P>&quot;All are welcome,&quot; said Templeton. </P>
<P>Supporters are asked to call <B>Mayor Tim Fitzmaurice</B> at (831) =
420-5020=20
and urge him to allow the camp to stay until another site is found. =
E-mail at=20
</FONT><A href=3D"mailto:citycouncil@ci.santa-cruz.ca.us"><I><FONT=20
size=3D3>citycouncil@ci.santa-cruz.ca.us</I></FONT></A><FONT size=3D3> =
or fax at=20
(831) 420-5011. Please cc: at </FONT><A=20
href=3D"mailto:campparadise@hotmail.com"><I><FONT=20
size=3D3>campparadise@hotmail.com</I></FONT></A><FONT size=3D3> </P>
<P>&nbsp;</P><I>
<P align=3Dcenter>Directions to Camp Paradise: From Ocean St., Take =
Felker St.=20
(near Denny&rsquo;s Restaurant) all the way to the end. Walk up the =
levee ramp=20
onto the river levee. Take the first dirt path to the right &amp; walk =
under the=20
Highway One Bridge on the East Side of the river. Continue on up the =
path about=20
500 yds to the footbridge over the goldfish pond. Welcome to Camp =
Paradise!</P>
<P align=3Dcenter></P>
<P align=3Dcenter>For more info: Camp Paradise c/o Larry Templeton115 =
Coral St.=20
Santa Cruz, Ca. 95060</P>
<P align=3Dcenter>Message # (831) 458-6020 ext. 105 or</FONT> contact =
Becky=20
Johnson at </I><A=20
href=3D"mailto:wmnofstl@cruzio.com"><I>wmnofstl@cruzio.com</I></A><I>=20
</P></I></DIV></BODY></HTML>