[Hpn] FWD: ok: something finally snapped

Harmony Kieding ladyharmony23@hotmail.com
Wed, 04 Jul 2001 12:08:21 +0200

Hi, all.
This morning I was forwarded one of those anecdotes that make their way around
the Internet. It concerns an encounter with a homeless person by a "normally
housed" member of society.
I'd seen it before, but this morning as I read it, something snapped, (maybe
that "last straw"?) So what got to me? I dunno...maybe what I perceived as dripping
condescension followed by the insight that "gee, this person actually is a PERSON"....

Anyway, am posting it here, and then I am going to look for a chill pill:

*******************
****** Forwarded Message Follows *******

It never ceases to amaze me how much society underestimates homeless people.
As a formerly homeless person, and homeless rights advocate, I pass on these
words from a writer of Courage and insight, Bridgit Reilly:

""There seems to be an atitude that homeless people are homeless only
because they were too stupid to keep their homes and are therefore not very
competent at thinking for themselves, and that they therefore need the
guidance of more intelligent, "enlightened" people to help them back onto
the path to a "normal" life. To any person with an I.Q. of more than 50 who
is homeless because of the worsening economic conditiions in the country
this attitude is, to say the least, extremely insulting.

What is lacking here, or maybe only partially formed, is the concept of
homeless empowerment: that we should have the power to control our own
lives, to use our intelligence to find out own creative solutions to our
predicament, and that we are entitled to keep our dignity in the process;
that we have the same constitutional rights as every other citizen, and that
the very last thing we need is to be treated like criminals or idiots while
we are struggling to survive." -Bridigit Reilly

from "On Homeless Empowerment"
http://www.geocities.com/reillybridget/homeless_oregon4.html?992289590200

see also her homepage for a list of stunningly lucid articles..
http://www.geocities.com/reillybridget/

We need to educate all those we can that homelessness is not a state to be
reacted to with patronization, fear, harassment, or persecution. There are
many causes for homelessness. Increasingly in today's society, all it takes
is an unexpected medical expense, an accident,  or a layoff from work, and
there people are: homeless.

Now if you can forward what I've written to ten of your friends, maybe we
will make a start!!

With much love,
Harmony

WorldHome (no frames)