[Hpn] We Shall Not Be Moved!

Becky Johnson wmnofstl@cruzio.com
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 22:01:21 -0000

------=_NextPart_000_002C_01C1040B.CB077720

Friends of Camp Paradise

Update: Tuesday, July 03, 2001

"We Shall Not Be Moved!"

Santa Cruz, Ca. -- The residents of Camp Paradise, the self-made =
homeless campground on the eastside of the San Lorenzo River, say they =
are not moving. "We have at least 20 people who are not leaving if =
ticketed or arrested," said Camp Paradise co-founder, Larry Templeton. =
"There=92s just no place for us to go," added Danny "Cookie" Blair who =
has lived along the San Lorenzo River since October of 2000. Campers =
have cleaned up an estimated 24 tons of garbage from the riverbank since =
October of 2000.=20

The camp has been home to over 50 people who literally have no place =
else to go. Mayor Tim Fitzmaurice, who visited the camp in May, has =
called for the residents to be put "in social services." Yet the local =
shelter program, the ISSP, has sent 20 people to Camp Paradise, when =
they had no room in their program. "They knew this was a safe place to =
be," commented Templeton. The ISSP only has space for 39 people each =
night.

"We are calling for all who support us to come down and witness the =
police destruction, or join in with us in an act of civil disobedience," =
said Templeton after conferring with his attorney. Campers had believed =
they had an agreement with City officials to stay where they are until =
another site could be located for them. But they are not so optimistic =
now. "They could come at any time," warned Templeton.=20

Supporters are asked to call Mayor Tim Fitzmaurice at (831) 420-5020 and =
urge him to allow the camp to stay until another site is found. E-mail =
at citycouncil@ci.santa-cruz.ca.us or fax at (831) 420-5011. Please cc: =
at campparadise@hotmail.com=20

Directions to Camp Paradise: From Ocean St., Take Felker St. (near =
Denny=92s Restaurant) all the way to the end. Walk up the levee ramp =
onto the river levee. Take the first dirt path to the right & walk under =
the Highway One Bridge on the East Side of the river. Continue on up the =
path about 500 yds to the footbridge over the goldfish pond. Welcome to =
Camp Paradise!

For more info: Camp Paradise c/o Larry Templeton115 Coral St. Santa =
Cruz, Ca. 95060

Message # (831) 458-6020 ext. 105 or contact Becky Johnson at =
wmnofstl@cruzio.com=20

------=_NextPart_000_002C_01C1040B.CB077720

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><I><FONT size=3D6>
<P align=3Dcenter>Friends of Camp Paradise</P></I></FONT><FONT size=3D4>
<P align=3Dcenter>Update: Tuesday, July 03, 2001</P></FONT><B><FONT =
size=3D6>
<P align=3Dcenter>&quot;We Shall Not Be Moved!&quot;</P></B></FONT><FONT =
size=3D4>
<P>Santa Cruz, Ca. -- The residents of <I>Camp Paradise</I>, the =
self-made=20
homeless campground on the eastside of the San Lorenzo River, say they =
are not=20
moving. &quot;We have at least 20 people who are not leaving if ticketed =
or=20
arrested,&quot; said <I>Camp Paradise</I> co-founder, <B>Larry =
Templeton</B>.=20
&quot;There&rsquo;s just no place for us to go,&quot; added <B>Danny=20
&quot;Cookie&quot; Blair</B> who has lived along the San Lorenzo River =
since=20
October of 2000. Campers have cleaned up an estimated 24 tons of garbage =
from=20
the riverbank since October of 2000. </P>
<P>The camp has been home to over 50 people who literally have no place =
else to=20
go. <B>Mayor Tim Fitzmaurice</B>, who visited the camp in May, has =
called for=20
the residents to be put &quot;in social services.&quot; Yet the local =
shelter=20
program, the ISSP, has sent 20 people to <I>Camp Paradise</I>, when they =
had no=20
room in their program. &quot;They knew this was a safe place to =
be,&quot;=20
commented Templeton. The ISSP only has space for 39 people each =
night.</P>
<P>&quot;We are calling for all who support us to come down and witness =
the=20
police destruction, or join in with us in an act of civil =
disobedience,&quot;=20
said Templeton after conferring with his attorney. Campers had believed =
they had=20
an agreement with City officials to stay where they are until another =
site could=20
be located for them. But they are not so optimistic now. &quot;They =
could come=20
at any time,&quot; warned Templeton. </P></FONT><FONT =
size=3D1></FONT><FONT=20
size=3D4>
<P>Supporters are asked to call <B>Mayor Tim Fitzmaurice</B> at (831) =
420-5020=20
and urge him to allow the camp to stay until another site is found. =
E-mail at=20
</FONT><A href=3D"mailto:citycouncil@ci.santa-cruz.ca.us"><I><FONT=20
size=3D4>citycouncil@ci.santa-cruz.ca.us</I></FONT></A><FONT size=3D4> =
or fax at=20
(831) 420-5011. Please cc: at </FONT><A=20
href=3D"mailto:campparadise@hotmail.com"><I><FONT=20
size=3D4>campparadise@hotmail.com</I></FONT></A><FONT size=3D4> =
</P></FONT><FONT=20
size=3D1></FONT><I>
<P align=3Dcenter>Directions to Camp Paradise: From Ocean St., Take =
Felker St.=20
(near Denny&rsquo;s Restaurant) all the way to the end. Walk up the =
levee ramp=20
onto the river levee. Take the first dirt path to the right &amp; walk =
under the=20
Highway One Bridge on the East Side of the river. Continue on up the =
path about=20
500 yds to the footbridge over the goldfish pond. Welcome to Camp=20
Paradise!</P><FONT size=3D4>
<P align=3Dcenter></P></FONT>
<P align=3Dcenter>For more info: Camp Paradise c/o Larry Templeton115 =
Coral St.=20
Santa Cruz, Ca. 95060</P>
<P align=3Dcenter>Message # (831) 458-6020 ext. 105 or contact Becky =
Johnson at=20
</I><A =
href=3D"mailto:wmnofstl@cruzio.com"><I>wmnofstl@cruzio.com</I></A><I>=20
</P></I></DIV></BODY></HTML>