[Hpn] streetpaper history

john mcculloch jmcculloch48@hotmail.com
Thu, 05 Jul 2001 14:29:10 -0700

Ok folks, I feel a need to set the record straight here, in case it matters
to anybody. Several times I have read some version of that "History of
Streetpapers" story, and it keeps referring to that "stapled, xeroxed
newsletter written entirely by one homeless woman", or something like that.
This was taken from Tim Harris's "Good News from Chicago", which was a
report in Seattle's REAL CHANGE on the very first conference in Chicago. He
was referring to my newsletter, the HOUSELESS JOURNAL, which I was producing
in Eugene at that time. But it was never "written entirely by me". It had
material from other homeless and housed people in every issue; I was the
editor who wrote a lot of editorials, which may have somewhat dominated the
paper, but I wasn't the ONLY writer, ever. Now the latest version of this
story calls it the "Homeless Journal". Like a game of gossip or telephone,
the information keeps getting more inaccurate with each new telling by a
different person.

Some people seemed to think my "little" newsletter was cute or something,
compared to a lot of the "bigger" papers. Well, I can live with that--just
get the information straight, ok?

By the way, I still have all the back issues of that newsletter; if anyone
is curious to read them, let me know. They represent a chunk of Eugene's
homeless advocacy history from Nov. 1993 to Oct. 1997. I'll still send out
copies through the snail-mail with a little reimbursement for postage.

Bridget Reilly
(Now  HOMEOWNER in Oakridge, Oregon! YEAH!!!!)