[Hpn] Fw:

wtinker wtinker@metrocast.net
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 21:36:21 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0038_01C10408.33ACD9E0

CAMP PARADISE BUST IMMINENT!
Tuesday, July 03, 2001

Santa Cruz, Ca. - Camp Paradise, the homeless campground under the =
Highway One Bridge over the San Lorenzo River has received word that the =
Santa Cruz Police Dept. will be ticketing them "tonight or tommorrow" =
according to camp founder, Larry Templeton.=20

"Then the next day, they will move in and clear the camp out," said =
Templeton.

The homeless campers have removed an estimated 24 tons of trash from an =
area of the river formerly inhabited by junkies and drunks. They have =
taken in 20 people who the local ISSP emergency shelter program had no =
room for. The camp is the only home for over 50 campers, including a =
pregnant woman who was married by Mayor Tim Fitzmaurice on April 22, =
2000.

"Now he's going to evict her and her family," remarked Becky Johnson, a =
frequent critic of the mayors' lack of a homeless policy.

The Campers had secured the services of local attorney, Paul Sanford who =
thought he had negotiated a temporary stay of execution until at least =
July 15th or after. The Campers have issued a statement offering to =
dissassemble their camp and move, provided a reasonable location can be =
located.

Becky Johnson can be reached at (831)429-8529

Supporters of Camp Paradise are urged to call Mayor Tim Fitzmaurice

(831)420-5020 and urge a halt to the destruction and eviction of over=20

50 homeless people.

------=_NextPart_000_0038_01C10408.33ACD9E0

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type =
content=3Dtext/html;charset=3Diso-8859-1>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><B><FONT size=3D5>CAMP PARADISE BUST IMMINENT!</DIV>
<DIV></B></FONT><FONT size=3D4>
<P>Tuesday, July 03, 2001</P>
<P>Santa Cruz, Ca. &#8211; <I>Camp Paradise</I>, the homeless campground =
under the=20
Highway One Bridge over the San Lorenzo River has received word that the =

<I>Santa Cruz Police Dept</I>. will be ticketing them "tonight or =
tommorrow"=20
according to camp founder, <B>Larry Templeton</B>. </P>
<P>"Then the next day, they will move in and clear the camp out," said=20
Templeton.</P>
<P>The homeless campers have removed an estimated 24 tons of trash from =
an area=20
of the river formerly inhabited by junkies and drunks. They have taken =
in 20=20
people who the local ISSP emergency shelter program had no room for. The =
camp is=20
the only home for over 50 campers, including a pregnant woman who was =
married by=20
<B>Mayor Tim Fitzmaurice</B> on April 22, 2000.</P>
<P>"Now he&#8217;s going to evict her and her family," remarked <B>Becky =
Johnson</B>,=20
a frequent critic of the mayors&#8217; lack of a homeless policy.</P>
<P>The Campers had secured the services of local attorney, <B>Paul =
Sanford</B>=20
who thought he had negotiated a temporary stay of execution until at =
least July=20
15<SUP>th</SUP> or after. The Campers have issued a statement offering =
to=20
dissassemble their camp and move, provided a reasonable location can be=20
located.</P><I>
<P align=3Dcenter>Becky Johnson can be reached at (831)429-8529</P>
<P align=3Dcenter>Supporters of Camp Paradise are urged to call Mayor =
Tim=20
Fitzmaurice</P>
<P align=3Dcenter>(831)420-5020 and urge a halt to the destruction and =
eviction of=20
over </P>
<P align=3Dcenter>50 homeless people.</P></I></FONT><FONT size=3D2>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0038_01C10408.33ACD9E0--