[Hpn] Feinstein backs classes for homeless;Letter to the Editor;SF Chronicle;6/29/01

Morgan W. Brown morganbrown@hotmail.com
Mon, 02 Jul 2001 13:43:35 -0400

As a follow-up regarding the ongoing battle over segregated schools for
children who are homeless, below is a forward of a letter to the editor by
Senator Dianne Feinstein published in last Friday's (June 29, 2001)
San Francisco Chronicle in response to their editorial on the subject.

Morgan <morganbrown@hotmail.com>
Morgan W. Brown
Montpelier Vermont

-------Forwarded letter to the editor-------

Friday, June 29, 2001
San Francisco Chronicle <http://www.sfgate.com/chronicle>
[California]
Letters to the Editor
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2001/06/29/ED186758.DTL>

Feinstein backs classes for homeless

Editor -- Your editorial, "Homeless and separate" (June 22), mistakenly
characterizes classes taught at transitional learning centers as "separate
but equal education." These are schools designed to help homeless children
make a transition into their local public schools.

They are not mandatory. They are an option that often provides showers,
clothes, meals and at times health and dental care to homeless youngsters
who otherwise would not be able to obtain these services. The centers can
offer a helping hand to those in our society who are most in need of
assistance.

Because partial federal funding for the project appeared to be in jeopardy,
I worked with Sen. John Kyl, R-Ariz., to win Senate approval of an amendment
ensuring that five of eight such schools in California and one in Arizona
could continue to receive funds.

Before I supported the amendment, members of my staff visited all eight
transitional learning centers in California and found a good record in
helping homeless children.

Critics of the centers say public schools should be required to provide all
the necessary services for homeless children. That argument fails to
acknowledge that the needs of such children can all too often get lost in
facilities with thousands of other students, a high percentage of
uncredentialed teachers and other equally pressing needs.

These critics also fail to recognize that many homeless children would
simply drop out of school were it not for the option.

So it is time we move beyond what is politically correct and do what we can
to help children who need some extra assistance because their families have
lost their homes.

Sen. DIANNE FEINSTEIN

Washington

--snip, snip, snip--

---End of forwarded letters to the editor---

~~~Related Editorial:

June 22, 2001
San Francisco Chronicle
Editorial
Homeless and separate:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2001/06/22/ED110722.DTL

~~~FYI:

Letters to the Editor should be addressed to letters@sfchronicle.com. Due to
space considerations, only letters of less than 250 words will be considered
for publication. Please provide your name and telephone number along with
your letter. You will be called if your letter is being considered for
publication.

educational purposes only.**

-------End of forward-------

Morgan <morganbrown@hotmail.com>