[Hpn] Help. Two Questions

Lucinda Houston lucy@efn.org
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 00:12:07 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_00E5_01C08A51.485FDD00

Hi Lotus,
I wish you the best with your endeavors.  As for all those fast bucks on =
the Internet.. well, perhaps it's safer to work at McDonalds.  I am =
considering some business at Ebay.. but then I think I may have the =
equipment and means to do so, if I can just muster up the time, money, =
and brains to pull it together.  It would be a part time =
occupation/interest however, not my primary income.
I also need to put hpn into digest mode.  I am ever busier on the home =
front having begun studies (a way big course to dive into with all the =
time I can steal), and other activities such as a thriving non profit =
"people" business for which I devote one day a week from regular work =
and home.  (Officially.. doesn't count the zillions of hours I spend on =
it otherwise).
This list is getting ever busier.  I can hardly keep up, but I enjoy the =
activity and stimulation.
A word you used really bothered me.  It was "gotten".  I've used it =
speaking, but someone once gave me the idea it wasn't a word to use so I =
looked it up in my modern dictionary tonight, and it was listed under =
the heading "get" and although occasionally criticized, is an =
alternative standard past participle in most senses, esp. "to receive" =
and "to acquire":  I have gotten (or got) a dozen replies so far.
As for how to put the list into digest mode, I am not certain.  I'm =
kinda waiting for Tom or Sandy to give instructions on just how to do =
that again.  (They did so a while back when I didn't need it).
So you live out in the boonies, huh?  I think that even if you began a =
for-profit income bearing business it would take over a year likely, to =
establish and start turning over any kind of reliable income from =
profit.  After perusing Ebay, I think there are money making =
possibilities there, but in order to be a "seller" you must first open =
an account with $100.  (Ya need a real credit card, too.)  Though it's =
not required, items with pictures sell well and best.  A digital camera =
would be in order.  Though you might have a digital camera, you must =
also subscribe to some service to which you can paste your photos that =
you will be using in your auctions.  The services vary and can charge up =
to .50 cents a photo (except Ebay gives you the first two photos free.. =
per auction?  I assume, perhaps not.)  Assuming you've "gotten" this =
far, your next course of action necessary to reap any benefits if you're =
to survive this market is (packaging) and mailing.  The same thing that =
keeps you from taking off to a job everyday would likely hinder this =
effort, too.  You would either need ready access to a post office,  =
(Your reputation in Ebay depends on courtesy, reliability, performance, =
i.e. gettin that package in the mail the moment you receive payment, or =
the check has cleared) or some good digital scales with postage rates =
and a good supply of various denomination postage stamps or an Internet =
or computer postage service of some kind.  As for what to market... just =
about anything you can imagine.  I've had a great time looking up books, =
like "Fraggle Rock" books, a series that we got turned onto during our =
stay at the Mission while we were homeless.  Also, I found "Glo Worm" =
books, which I never knew existed until we ran into a beaten up old book =
once and enjoyed the characters and adventure.  I found "Freckles" =
unabridged by Gene Stratton Parker... a book among books I'd found at a =
yard sale in Brinkley, Arkansas back in the 70's and loved...  Point is =
not to take anything for granted.. somebody, somewhere, is out looking =
for something you've got, and Ebay is a good (GREAT) source to find it.
You might want to think about it.  Someone else on this list might want =
to think about it...
Peace & Love,
Lucinda

------=_NextPart_000_00E5_01C08A51.485FDD00

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.00.2314.1000" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>
<DIV>Hi Lotus,</DIV>
<DIV>I wish you the best with your endeavors.&nbsp; As for all those =
fast bucks=20
on the Internet.. well, perhaps it's safer to work at McDonalds.&nbsp; I =
am=20
considering some business at Ebay.. but then I think I may have the =
equipment=20
and means to do so, if I can just muster up the time, money, and brains =
to pull=20
it together.&nbsp; It would be a part time occupation/interest however, =
not=20
my&nbsp;primary income.</DIV>
<DIV>I also need to put hpn into digest mode.&nbsp; I am ever busier on =
the home=20
front having begun studies (a way big course to dive into with all the =
time I=20
can steal), and other activities such as a thriving non profit "people" =
business=20
for which I devote one day a week from regular work and home.&nbsp;=20
(Officially.. doesn't count the zillions of hours I spend on it=20
otherwise).</DIV>
<DIV>This list is&nbsp;getting ever busier.&nbsp; I can hardly keep up, =
but I=20
enjoy the activity and stimulation.</DIV>
<DIV>A word you used really bothered me.&nbsp; It was "gotten".&nbsp; =
I've used=20
it speaking, but someone once gave me the idea it wasn't a word to use =
so I=20
looked it up in my modern dictionary tonight, and it was listed under =
the=20
heading "get" and although occasionally criticized, is an alternative =
standard=20
past participle in most senses, esp. "to receive" and "to =
acquire":&nbsp; <EM>I=20
have gotten (or got) a dozen replies so far.</EM></DIV>
<DIV>As for how to put the list into digest mode, I am not =
certain.&nbsp; I'm=20
kinda waiting for Tom or Sandy to give instructions on just how to do =
that=20
again.&nbsp; (They did so a while back when I didn't need it).</DIV>
<DIV>So you live out in the boonies, huh?&nbsp; I think that even if you =
began=20
a&nbsp;for-profit income bearing business it would take over a year =
likely, to=20
establish and start turning over any kind of reliable&nbsp;income from=20
profit.&nbsp; After perusing Ebay, I think there are money making =
possibilities=20
there, but&nbsp;in order to be a "seller"&nbsp;you must first open an =
account=20
with $100.&nbsp; (Ya need a real credit card, too.)&nbsp; Though it's =
not=20
required, items with pictures sell well and best.&nbsp; A digital camera =
would=20
be in order.&nbsp; Though you might have a digital camera, you must also =

subscribe to some service to which you can paste your photos that you =
will be=20
using in your auctions.&nbsp; The services vary and can charge up to .50 =
cents a=20
photo (except Ebay gives you the first two photos free.. per =
auction?&nbsp; I=20
assume, perhaps not.)&nbsp; Assuming you've "gotten" this far, your next =
course=20
of action necessary to reap any benefits if you're to survive this =
market is=20
(packaging) and mailing.&nbsp; The same thing that keeps you from taking =
off to=20
a job everyday would likely hinder this effort, too.&nbsp; You would =
either need=20
ready access to a post office,&nbsp; (Your reputation in Ebay depends on =

courtesy, reliability, performance, i.e. gettin that package in the mail =
the=20
moment you receive payment, or the check has cleared) or some good =
digital=20
scales&nbsp;with postage rates and a good supply of various denomination =
postage=20
stamps or an Internet or computer postage service of some kind.&nbsp; As =
for=20
what to market... just about anything you can imagine.&nbsp; I've had a =
great=20
time looking up books, like "Fraggle Rock" books, a series that we got =
turned=20
onto during our stay at the Mission while we were homeless.&nbsp; Also, =
I found=20
"Glo Worm" books, which I never knew existed until we ran into a beaten =
up old=20
book once and enjoyed the characters and adventure.&nbsp; I found =
"Freckles"=20
unabridged by Gene Stratton Parker... a book among books I'd found at a =
yard=20
sale in Brinkley, Arkansas back in the 70's and loved...&nbsp; Point is =
not to=20
take anything for granted.. somebody, somewhere, is out looking for =
something=20
you've got, and Ebay is a good (GREAT) source to find it.</DIV>
<DIV>You might want to think about it.&nbsp; Someone else on this list =
might=20
want to think about it...</DIV>
<DIV>Peace &amp; Love,</DIV>
<DIV>Lucinda</DIV>