[Hpn] More Local Issues...

Joseph Wessel jawessel@zdnetonebox.com
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 21:04:06 -0800

--
Joseph  Wessel
RE: Homeless Ministries and President Bush
I'm familiar with Mr. Reynalds' organization...I do respect his right
to run his shelter as he sees fit.
Allow me a couple of personal observations, though...
I have pointedly avoided Joy Junction in time of need for a couple of
reasons; mainly their assumption that I am in need of religious training
(most folks I know would do the same). I feel it is counter productive
to assume that all who do not share a particular religion must have it
imposed on them as a consequence of accepting aid. It's a shame that
we in Albuquerque can't seem to do any better-that's nearly half the
permanent beds in the city!
I did contact their agency about three weeks ago seeking help or a referral
to get some heat in my camper. Knowing that funds are short especially
at this time of year, I offered them some of my furniture if it would
help them fund a service for me. I was told that simply wasn't done,
but if I wanted to donate the furniture they would be happy to take it.
No attempt was made to refer me or to find another way to help.
Gee, thanks.

To get your own FREE ZDNet Onebox - FREE voicemail, email, and fax,
all in one place - sign up today at http://www.zdnetonebox.com