[Hpn] Frog in the Water

Harmony Foster Kieding fosterharmony@savethisplanet.com
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 15:49:46 -0800

Only today I was reminded of the story that, if you put a frog in boiling water,
he will jump out and live, but if you place him in a pot of cold water and gradually
heat it up to boiling, he will stay in and be boiled to death because the change
is so gradual.
Now, let's say a free human being is the frog. Put that human being suddenly
into a full-scale dictatorship. He or she will instantly recognize the situation
for what it is, and either fight it or flee it.
Now take that same free human being, and put him or her into a social environment
where dozens of little local, state, and national laws and ordinances trickle,
bit by bit, into being.
The days go by, each day a little bit less free...a few more ordinances...a
few more laws....the heat gets turned up a degree or too...
"and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to
suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the
forms to which they are accustomed.

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same
object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their
right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards
for their future security."

Is that a quote from some far-out manifesto? Nope...just from the US Declaration
of Independence, as is the following:
"He has made Judges dependent on his Will alone, for the tenure of their offices,
and the amount and payment of their salaries."

"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers
to harass our people, and eat out their substance."
"He has abdicated Government here by declaring us out of his Protection and
waging War against us."
"He has plundered our seas, ravaged our Coasts, burnt our towns, and destroyed
the lives of our people."

Since I became homeless, I lost all my treasured books. One of them was the
Diary of Anne Frank, in which she chronicles the increasing restrictions on
Jewish freedom imposed by the Nazis. Another of the books was "Babi Yar" by
Yevtushenko. One detail that stands out from that (apart from the sheer atrocity)is
a quote about Hitler's edict on education. He was against educating the general
populace, beyond being able to read simple factory instructions.

Where am I "going" with all this? Just that it seems particularly relevant in
today's clime.

Well, I'd best bring this to a close... this was inspired by several different
posts in HPN lately- the post on GW's family's ties to the Nazis...laws against
people sleeping in any other place than their bedrooms..(the whole darned picture,
I guess)

Harmony

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Agora/7076/causes.html

The Declaration of Independence