[Hpn] Hotel Fire Leaves 36 Homeless

Fri, 26 Jan 2001 21:48:12 -0700

6th Street Hotel Fire Leaves 36 Homeless
Eric Brazil, Chronicle Staff Writer
Friday, January 26, 2001
©2001 San Francisco Chronicle

A man was critically burned and three dozen residents were left homeless
today by a predawn fire in a South of Market hotel.

The two-alarm fire, which started on the third floor of the Minna-Lee Hotel
at 149 Sixth St., was reported at 2:39 a.m. and brought under control by
more than 60 firefighters an hour later.

The burn victim, a man in his 30s, was reported in stable condition at San
Francisco General Hospital. Six other hotel residents, including a pregnant
woman, were treated for smoke inhalation at S.F. General and St. Francis
hospitals.

Fire Department spokesman Pete Howe said eight rooms were damaged by fire,
smoke and water on the hotel's third and fourth floors, and the second floor
and staircase were soaked.

Damage to the hotel was estimated at $175,000. The cause of the fire is
under investigation.

The American Red Cross will provide temporary housing for the displaced
residents until new housing for them is found.

"It was scary, but I guess the good Lord was with me," said Felisa Lansche,
for whom the fire was her third in as many years as a residential hotel
dweller.

Lansche hauled some of her belongings from the hotel in a garbage bag and a
shopping bag. Reno Waters, 51, a resident of the Minna-Lee for just 12 days,
wasn't so lucky.

"Everything I've got is in there," he said. "I didn't have time to get my
stuff.

©2001 San Francisco Chronicle   Page A2

--
END FORWARD

**In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107,
this material is distributed without charge or profit
to those who have expressed a prior
interest in receiving this type of information for
non-profit research and educational purposes only.**

Year 2000 posts
INFO & to join/leave list - Tom Boland
<wgcp@earthlink.net>
Nothing About Us Without Us -