[Hpn] Fwd: A washingtonpost.com article from kennyfreeman99@hotmail.com

elijah huffman hobo_poet@hotmail.com
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 23:40:38 -0500

hpn

>From: Subject: A washingtonpost.com article from kennyfreeman99@hotmail.com
>Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 21:04:06 -0500 (EST)
>
>You have been sent this message from kennyfreeman99@hotmail.com as a
>courtesy of the Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com).
>

>To view the entire article, go to
>http://washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A49160-2001Jan25.html
>
>D.C. Officials Grapple With 5th Homeless Death

Portions removed by Elijah ( Because I'm not familiar with copy write, can
anyone help me?)

Kenny is a very good friend and did emergency pschyciatric outreach for the
district for well over a decade, He now does an unregestered outreach, as he
wanted to do more. It is funded out of his own pocket, and the pockets of a
few friends.He also when I was at my second most depressed state in my life
consuled me long distance at his expenxe for about 2 hrs, saving me from
doing something stupid
You can skim over this but read the whole article. the url is above

A fifth homeless adult was found dead on the street in Northwest Washington
yesterday as D.C officials had a rare get together agencies due to homeless
fatalities that began in late December.
Robert E. Richards was found dead at 8:10 a.m. across from the U.S.
Department of Commerce, according to officials. The area is midway between
the White House and the Washington Monument. said Chief Medical Examiner
Jonathan L. Arden. "He fits the general pattern of being found dead in an
outdoor or unheated place, in cold weather, under circum-stances that
strongly raise the issue of death by hypothermia," Arden said.
Four other homeless have died in the District since Dec. 23, their deaths
initially unnoticed by city officials.  Frank Knutkowski Jr., 47,said
"Basically, everybody was up and trying to wake him, but he didn't budge a
bit,If he were on the grating, with the steam blowing on him, he would
probably be alive today."
Brian Carome, executive director of Project Northstar, a literacy and
mentoring program for children in the District, some of whom are homeless,
said the official response has been inadequate.
"Can it get worse than this? I cannot imagine that it can," Carome said.
"Persons, our neighbors, are dying again in significant numbers. It should
not have taken a cold winter to remind us that we need to care for them . .
. . We are a better city than this."