[Hpn] No thanks, Dubya!

Sun, 21 Jan 2001 17:59:54 -0700

This is NOT good news. I was talking with a couple of folks at yesterday's
protests about the current "energy crisis" we've been having in California
-- utility bills have more than doubled for many (most) since the first of
the year, and PG&E has been subjecting us to "rolling blackouts" that some
of us interpret as a thinly veiled threat.

I pointed out that the timing seemed kinda fishy, and now that Dubya's been
coronated it would make for a convenient opportunity for nuclear power
industry to make a comeback.

> "For example we're looking at regulations that may
> hamper full ... production in California power plants," Bush said

And even if Joy-Boy ain't talking about nukes, the rest of the regs are
there to preserve the environment. Guess the shit storm's going to hit the
west coast early.

I'm not an advocate of violence, but I couldn't shake the feeling that all
the pictures of Dubya I saw in today's press would have looked a LOT more
appealing through the sights of a deer rifle. Especially the one with Ricky
Martin. Are you listening, CARNIVORE?

peace

chance

Bush Still Analyzing Role in Calif. Energy Crisis

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President George W. Bush said on Sunday that his
administration was still assessing what the federal role in California's
energy crisis might be.

"I've repeatedly said that the crisis occurred because of faulty law in
California," Bush said in a response to a reporter's question during a tour
of the White House. "Californians need to address the law."

Bush said his government would "analyze exactly where the federal government
can help." He added, "For example we're looking at regulations that may
hamper full ... production in California power plants," Bush said, adding
that the long-term solution is to develop more energy sources.

"We need more power, we need pipelines bringing energy to the plants because
we want the people who work for a living, not only to have affordable
energy, but to make sure that the folks that employ them have the capacity
to keep their industries going," he said.

In a television interview last week, Bush held out the prospect of federal
help for California, which is wrestling with electricity shortages that have
triggered blackouts and threaten to harm its economy. Bush said he would
explore providing regulatory relief to power plants.

Copyright  2001 ABC News Internet Ventures.

--
END FORWARD

**In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107,
this material is distributed without charge or profit
to those who have expressed a prior
interest in receiving this type of information for
non-profit research and educational purposes only.**

Year 2000 posts
INFO & to join/leave list - Tom Boland
<wgcp@earthlink.net>
Nothing About Us Without Us -