[Hpn] FW: MI: December's Deep Freeze Fills Homeless Shelters

Fri, 19 Jan 2001 18:44:00 -0700

--MS_Mac_OE_3062774641_6463916_MIME_Part

----------
From: DaytonBear@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 13:35:03 EST
To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: MI: December's Deep Freeze Fills Homeless Shelters

Mount Clemens (MI) Macomb Daily

December's Deep Freeze Fills Homeless Shelters

By:Mitch Hotts, Macomb Daily Staff Writer December 07, 2000

Many turned away from shelters in Macomb County as temperatures dive.
Macomb County's homeless shelters are so packed, people are being turned
away=20
- and not just because of the recent teeth-chattering cold.

Shelter operators said their facilities have been filled to capacity for
several months, but winter's onset brings an urgency to the situation as
temperatures are below zero with wind chills factored in.

"With the cold coming in, many of the homeless are definitely coming in off
the streets," said Jimetta Lewis, executive director of the Macomb County
Rotating Emergency Shelter Team, or MCREST.

"But because we can't accommodate any more people, we've had to do
turnaways,=20
including children. In November, for example, we had 46 turnaways. That's
too=20
many."=20

MCREST works with local churches in Macomb County communities to provide
shelter on a 30-day basis to homeless people. It's a highly structured
program that provided temporary housing for some 14,000 people in 1999.

The story is similar at the Salvation Army's MATTS, or Macomb Answer to
Temporary Shelter, facility on Nine Mile Road in Warren.

Jean Marsh, MATTS program director, said all 20 beds at her facility, plus
five couches meant for emergency situations, have been filled for weeks.

"I was concerned even before the cold weather hit about our capacity and no=
that the cold is here, I'm even more concerned," Marsh said.

MATTS, which last year offered shelter for about 1,000 people, is in the
process of building a new $3 million shelter that will double capacity on
the=20
site of the former U.S. Army Tank Arsenal in central Warren, but that
facility won't be open for another two years.

Officials who deal with the homeless said Macomb County desperately needs a
warming center where homeless people could receive a meal, a blanket and a
pillow to rest overnight. Oakland and Wayne counties each have at least one
center, but Macomb has none.

"That would give some of these folks a place to get out of the cold at leas=
for the night. But these people who stay under the bridges and on the stree=
have no place to go in Macomb," said Lewis. "To me, that's the biggest
problem in Macomb County."

Shelter executives said despite a booming economy in recent years, people
with minimum-wage jobs lack enough money to rent an apartment or purchase a
house. Many have addictions ranging from gambling to drugs that complicate
their problems.=20

Macomb County Sheriff Ronald Tuscany said the county jail, which has been
used as a temporary shelter in the past, could make room for some people,
but=20
only as a "last resort."

"It isn't the best place to spend the night, but it's better than being on
the street," Tuscany said, adding jail staffers at best could provide a cot
and a blanket.=20

Medical experts warn the cold can be dangerous even for a few minutes of
exposure, which can cause hypothermia. They advise people to dress in
layers,=20
wear gloves, a hat, good boots and ear coverings to ward off frostbite.

On Wednesday, temperatures hit a low of 15 degrees, or well below zero with
a=20
wind-chill factor. Temperatures today are expected to hit the 24-degree mar=
with snow possible, accumulating to 1 inch by tonight.

=A9The Macomb Daily 2000

--=20
END FORWARD

**In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107,
this material is distributed without charge or profit
to those who have expressed a prior
interest in receiving this type of information for
non-profit research and educational purposes only.**

Year 2000 posts
INFO & to join/leave list - Tom Boland
<wgcp@earthlink.net>
Nothing About Us Without Us -
Democratize Public Policy
STREET SHEET
468 Turk Street
San Francisco, CA 94102
415 / 346.3740 - voice
415 / 775.5639 - fax
streetsheet@sf-homeless-coalition.org
http://www.sf-homeless-coalition.org

[...]

many."

MCREST works with local churches in Macomb County communities to provide shelter on a 30-day basis to homeless people. It's a highly structured
program that provided temporary housing for some 14,000 people in 1999.
The story is similar at the Salvation Army's MATTS, or Macomb Answer to Temporary Shelter, facility on Nine Mile Road in Warren.

Jean Marsh, MATTS program director, said all 20 beds at her facility, plus =
five couches meant for emergency situations, have been filled for weeks.
"I was concerned even before the cold weather hit about our capacity a= nd now
that the cold is here, I'm even more concerned," Marsh said.

MATTS, which last year offered shelter for about 1,000 people, is in the process of building a new $3 million shelter that will double capacity on t= he
site of the former U.S. Army Tank Arsenal in central Warren, but that
facility won't be open for another two years.

Officials who deal with the homeless said Macomb County desperately needs a=
warming center where homeless people could receive a meal, a blanket and a =
pillow to rest overnight. Oakland and Wayne counties each have at least one=
center, but Macomb has none.

"That would give some of these folks a place to get out of the cold at= least
for the night. But these people who stay under the bridges and on the stree= t
have no place to go in Macomb," said Lewis. "To me, that's the bi= ggest
problem in Macomb County."

Shelter executives said despite a booming economy in recent years, people <= BR> with minimum-wage jobs lack enough money to rent an apartment or purchase a=
house. Many have addictions ranging from gambling to drugs that complicate =
their problems.

Macomb County Sheriff Ronald Tuscany said the county jail, which has been <= BR> used as a temporary shelter in the past, could make room for some people, b= ut
only as a "last resort."

"It isn't the best place to spend the night, but it's better than bein= g on
the street," Tuscany said, adding jail staffers at best could provide = a cot
and a blanket.

Medical experts warn the cold can be dangerous even for a few minutes of exposure, which can cause hypothermia. They advise people to dress in layer= s,
wear gloves, a hat, good boots and ear coverings to ward off frostbite.
On Wednesday, temperatures hit a low of 15 degrees, or well below zero with= a
wind-chill factor. Temperatures today are expected to hit the 24-degree mar= k