[Hpn] H. 70: On the Wall of the House Local Government Committee

Morgan W. Brown morganbrown@hotmail.com
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 17:32:28 -0500

Legislative E-update by Morgan W. Brown
Montpelier Vermont
Friday, January 19, 2001
Volume 1, Number 2

H. 70: Homeless Voter Registration; Update
On the Wall of the House Local Government Committee

Hello,

Generally, when a bill gets introduced into either the House or Senate of
the Vermont Legislature the bill gets referred to a committee which
considers the subject(s) a certain bill may pertain to. In some cases some
bills may have to move from committee to committee as work progresses if
there is more to the bill than what one may committee has jurisdiction over.

For more information, go to the Rutland Herald's Legislative Guide section
on:

How a bill becomes law:

http://www.rutlandherald.com/legislature/guide/billlaw.html

If a person goes into just about any legislative committee room at the
Vermont State House, whether it be for the House or the Senate committees,
in most cases up on one of the walls are index cards marked "In" and another
marked "Out". Under each of these cards are other individual index cards
specific to each bill which has either been committed to that particular
committee or that had been in that committee but was voted out of it. Those
cards list each individual bill by number, subject and sponsor(s).

On the wall of the House Local Government committee this week, among the
half dozen or so bills there so far, is H. 70 - A bill related to Homeless
Voter Registration.

As reported in my previous Legislative E-update, H. 70 was introduced to the
House last Friday (January 12th). The bill got referred the committee on
Local Government.

Yesterday, (Thursday, January 18th) I spent most of the day meeting briefly
with each of the members of the committee who were present then as well as
observing their committee work that afternoon. I gave each member a hard
copy of the online version of the September 27, 2000 Times Argus article
entitled "State officials say homeless can vote" as background information.
I informed them that it related to
H. 70.

As I have consistently done in previous sessions, long before any matter I
am concerned about comes up there, I often sit in on a committee several
times merely to listen in and observe -- even if the matter they may be
working on at that time is not about the matter I may be tracking. This
affords me the opportunity to:

* Get to know the committee members better;

* Become acquainted with how they work;

* Get the feel of what process they may use;

* Find out what is important to each member when they work on any given bill
or issue; and,

* Let them get to know me better as well.

At the State House when it comes to direct lobbying, whether as a
professional or, as a citizen - as I do it, besides being a credible
informational resource being an important factor in being taken seriously in
advocating for any issue, cause or bill; having a consistent presence (being
there, being seen and establishing relationships with legislators and others
at the State House) is extremely essential. For example, eating or just
hanging out at the State House Red Glover Cafe is a good place to meet
people when one isn't busy walking the halls, chasing down someone or
tracking something.

Next week, come Tuesday, I will be following up with each individual member
of the House Local Government committee regarding H. 70.

My next e-update will report what if anything comes from that preliminary
work. That and more next week.

Please stay tuned and stay ready.

Morgan <morganbrown@hotmail.com>
Morgan W. Brown
Montpelier Vermont USA

-------Forwarded FYI-------

H.70

Introduced by Representatives Hingtgen of Burlington, Obuchowski of
Rockingham and Severance of
Colchester

Subject: Elections; homeless voter registration

Statement of purpose: This bill proposes to assure that homeless persons can
register to vote.

AN ACT RELATING TO HOMELESS VOTER REGISTRATION:

http://www.leg.state.vt.us/docs/2002/bills/intro/H-070.htm

House Committee on Local Government:

http://www.leg.state.vt.us/schedule/agenda-w.cfm?Session=2000&CommID=11

-- Note: Posted schedule is updated weekly. However, always call ahead first
before heading for the State House to attend a schedule committee meeting to
seek confirmation and updates.

Contact Information: Vermont Legislative Directory:

http://www.leg.state.vt.us/legdir/legdir2.htm

Vermont Legislative Bill Tracking System:
2001-2002 Legislative Session:

http://www.leg.state.vt.us/database/database2.cfm

Vermont Legislative Service
2001-2002 Legislative Session:

http://www.leg.state.vt.us/docs/service2.cfm

Vermont Legislative Web site:

http://www.leg.state.vt.us/

About the Legislative Process & local press coverage:

Rutland Herald & Times Argus
Legislature Guide 2001 - 2002:

http://www.rutlandherald.com/legislature/guide/

~~~Hosted at:

Local Coverage of the Vermont Legislature
by the Rutland Herald:

http://www.rutlandherald.com/legislature/

Rutland Herald:

http://rutlandherald.nybor.com/

Burlington Free Press
Vermont Legislature 2001 page:

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/leggie/

~~~Hosted at:

Burlington Free Press:

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/

~~~Background -- FYI:

Wednesday, September 27, 2000
Times Argus
[Barre - Montpelier Vermont]
Local News section
Page 1B

State officials say homeless can vote:

http://timesargus.nybor.com/Local/Story/13278.html

Other Related Information -- FYI:

Elections & Campaign Finance Division;
Office of the Secretary of State:

http://vermont-elections.org/

Office of the Secretary of State:

http://www.sec.state.vt.us/

-------End of forward-------

Note: Please feel free to forward this entire message as is on to others

Morgan <morganbrown@hotmail.com>
Morgan W. Brown
Montpelier Vermont USA

PS  If you have not been there either before or recently,
make sure to visit Sundog Stories: http://www.sundogstories.net