[Hpn] A crime against the people is a crime reguaardless of fiscal ability.

Tom Boland wgcp@earthlink.net
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 23:52:47 -0800 (PST)

At 05:14 PM 1/17/01 -0800, john macpherson wrote HPN:
> For a person to break a window to gain access is a
> crime against all, let alone steal money and a candy
> bar from a self serve office vender. This man knew
> what he did was wrong.

"It is as unlawful for the rich as well as the poor to sleep under the
bridges of Paris and to beg for bread." -- Anatole France

Graeme Bacque <graeme.bacque@3web.net> replied:
> Would he have been doing the 'right' thing by starving and  freezing?
> Keep in mind that the alleged 'crimes' you are referring to are based
> upon artificial social constructs You are probably questioning the
> wrong person's morality here.

Graeme, I agree.

It's also a cruel irony that Jesus was born homeless, according to the
Bible story.  Christian Churches claim an ancient and sacred tradition of
"Sanctuary" for the poor and oppressed.

While Jesus drove the Money Changers out of the Temple. here we have
someone charged with "felony _commercial_ burglary" ... at a _Church_!  Too
many Churches have degenerated into mere covers for "Commerce" As Usual.

Some faith groups Walk Their Talk about defending the oppressed. The
Arkansas church preacher, it appears to me, does not. -- Tom in Boston

"If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, then it cannot save
the few who are rich." - John F. Kennedy

"Those who train many in the ways of justice will sparkle like the stars for
all eternity." -- Daniel 12:3