[Hpn] Re: [nhhomeless] King dream(This calls for a poem)

elijah huffman hobo_poet@hotmail.com
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 18:18:58 -0500

Hi Anitra,

Floaters (the other program I work with) uses a kind of research called
action research. In action research, the real goal is to determine what
needs to be changed, and then to actually make the changes. This last bit
is, of course, the complicated part.

All participants are equals. The group decides on the priorities, methods,
what is to be researched and what is to be done about the findings.

Here is what this has evolved into. Any Floaters member who wants to
participate in the research has an equal voice on the team. Members who
don't want to participate at that more involved level (making decisions,
determining policy) are still researchers and still equals, and from time
to time they are asked to do something towards the research, e.g. fill out
a questionnaire, turn in a suggested solution. Our online work is, in
fact, in a directory called edresearch because what we are doing is
educational research. For, one of the main things we are looking at is how
people learn...how we can set things up so that people learn the things
about technology that they most need. http://floaters.org/edresearch/

In action research you study the situations that you find yourself in. So
Bruce's topic would certainly be a logical one. He and the rest of the
group could begin by learning as much as possible about the situation, by
several means, and then plan something to do about it...

What gets kind of interesting is what happens when you really try to
carry all this out. People who are empowered in this manner can get a lot
done. everyone respects the other's knowledge...

Sandy