[Hpn] Homeless People's FEEDBACK on HUD-funded "Continium of Care" progarms REQUESTED by official (fwd) progarms REQUESTED by official (fwd)

Tom Boland wgcp@earthlink.net
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 07:12:04 -0800 (PST)

so the official cited below can read your advice on "HUD Homeless programs": A City official in an urban USA community dispenses US Dept. of Housing & Urban Development (HUD) funds to local programs. That official asks "program users" to answer the questions below. Please answer in terms of your experiences with "HUD-funded programs in communities where _you_ have been homeless": FWD PLEASE HELP ME SCHEDULE A "CONSUMER FORUM" AT YOUR [HUD-HOMELESS] PROGRAM Over the next few weeks, I will be scheduling consumer forums, the meetings at shelters, drop-ins, meal programs, transitional housing programs, etc. -- at which homeless and formerly homeless persons have an opportunity to answer the folowing questions: (1) What kinds of services have you used [locally which are HUD-funded]? (2) Which services were helpful? (3) Which services could have been more helpful? (and how could they have been more helpful?) (4) What kinds of services were absent [locally] that you could have used (or had to look elsewhere to get)? Over the next few weeks, I will be contacting various programs to schedule visits with consumers. In the meantime, it would be helpful if you [service providers] could contact me and suggest convenient opportunities (housemeetings, etc.) to meet with program consumers or former consumers at your site. The focus of our discussions is not necessarily on the services which consumers are currently receiving (e.g., not about especially the transitional housing program in which they are current participants) but about the range of services [locally] that they have used previously or currently). Nonetheless, I typically attempt to meet with consumers in the absence of program staff, for at least part of the time, so as to minimize the potential inhibiting effect on candor of staff presence. If this is not possible, then I would be happy to meet with consumers in the presence of staff. Thanks for your assistance. END FORWARD ************************************************************ 9000+ articles by or via homeless & ex-homeless people INFO & to join/leave list - Tom Boland <wgcp@earthlink.net> Nothing About Us Without Us - Democratize Public Policy ************************************************************