[Hpn] CITY DENIES REQUEST FOR TEMPORARY PERMIT FOR HOMELESS CAMP

unclescam unclescam@buskers.org
Sun, 07 Jan 2001 16:01:25 -0500


--------------AE111B23FFCA5EBB90C5DA9D
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; x-mac-type="54455854"; x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

practical responses to injustice are needed more than emotional
outpouring.give us your best shot is all we can ask.

Lucinda Houston wrote:

>  I considered not sending it, unclescam, because of some silly rules I
> keep hearing about speaking positive and no negative reporting.  I
> write out of my feeling and my perception of reality.  I have a unique
> perception that comes right from below and at the very bottom and I
> recall vividly the despair and fear I felt being there.  I recall each
> thing that helped me and promoted me, my spirits, my hope, my faith,
> my "Just for today" well being and safety.  I remember the things that
> helped trip me and bring me lower and had a negative and destructive
> impact on my frail being.  (When you're down there and are void of
> means of helping yourself.. it is very real and scary.. nowhere to get
> it, but make do, make do, and pray for each day).I would say I
> wouldn't wish it on anybody, but I have sincerely wished it on
> somebody.  I wished it on my caseworker at the time, and still do with
> no retraction whatsoever, because I wanted her to know the real
> horror, fear and torture of living in this situation.  She gave me so
> little, and smiled as I watched my life go down the drain, losing my
> credit (my good credit), taking my minor daughter immediately off our
> medical card after Family Shelter kicked my baby out at age 13, making
> her a very homeless teen in a city in which we had no relatives or
> safety nets whatsoever making her truly a product of the streets on
> her complete own, with strangers for mercy.  She created hospital and
> ambulance bills to meet her medical needs.  They kicked her out on the
> streets for acting/talking badly.  She was acting out.. acting like a
> bad girl, defiant.  Something that could have been dealt with in my
> compassionate, real world of people in a much more creative way.  In
> my honest opinion, that was a very horrible, destructive way of
> dealing with that situation.  It was inhuman.  In ruins.You can call
> it bitterness, or you can call it awareness, reality.  It feels like
> bitterness, but I know it was oh, so real.
>
>      -----Original Message-----
>      From: unclescam <unclescam@buskers.org>
>      To: Lucinda Houston <lucy@efn.org>
>      Date: Sunday, January 07, 2001 11:52 AM
>      Subject: Re: [Hpn] CITY DENIES REQUEST FOR TEMPORARY PERMIT
>      FOR HOMELESS CAMP
>       seems that your argument needs a lawyer. are you in court
>      over this equal protection deal. it certainly seems you've
>      made the class issue clear.
>
>      Lucinda Houston wrote:
>
>     >  ``we felt that
>     > we simply could not approve housing that fails to meet our
>     > most
>     > minimal housing standards'' Rick Krochalis, director of
>     > the
>     > city's Department of Design I think the person who stated
>     > this is not in touch with reality and/or is knowingly
>     > stating that he'd rather the homeless camping population
>     > and would-be campers scatter and fare the best way
>     > possible, without the stability and relative safety of an
>     > organized campsite.I think he'd better revoke the license
>     > of any county campgrounds in his area as being unsafe and
>     > less than minimum in standard for sleeping and temporary
>     > shelter, otherwise it might seem as if he is
>     > discriminating against the homeless population and causing
>     > them to suffer whereas he has no problem with "middle
>     > class" camping for families and individuals as being
>     > acceptable.  His disparaging comments clearly indicate
>     > that his regard for humans in the state of homelessness is
>     > low and that he feels the homeless are inferior as humans
>     > and not deserving of the luxury of an organized
>     > campground.  I guess the homeless have no voice as humans
>     > because of this regard (money talks, moneyless is an
>     > invitation for abuse and slights because you are only
>     > sub-human and stripped of honor and dignity without
>     > it).So, the bottom line is "So, we'll fail you, even if
>     > this is what you think you want and what would make you
>     > comfortable and more organized.  we would rather you have
>     > less than the least in standard.  That is our statement,
>     > our regard, and our concern for you".
>

--------------AE111B23FFCA5EBB90C5DA9D
Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en">

practical responses to injustice are needed more than emotional outpouring.give
us your best shot is all we can ask.

Lucinda Houston wrote:

 I considered not sending it, unclescam, because of some silly rules I keep hearing about speaking positive and no negative reporting.  I write out of my feeling and my perception of reality.  I have a unique perception that comes right from below and at the very bottom and I recall vividly the despair and fear I felt being there.  I recall each thing that helped me and promoted me, my spirits, my hope, my faith, my "Just for today" well being and safety.  I remember the things that helped trip me and bring me lower and had a negative and destructive impact on my frail being.  (When you're down there and are void of means of helping yourself.. it is very real and scary.. nowhere to get it, but make do, make do, and pray for each day).I would say I wouldn't wish it on anybody, but I have sincerely wished it on somebody.  I wished it on my caseworker at the time, and still do with no retraction whatsoever, because I wanted her to know the real horror, fear and torture of living in this situation.  She gave me so little, and smiled as I watched my life go down the drain, losing my credit (my good credit), taking my minor daughter immediately off our medical card after Family Shelter kicked my baby out at age 13, making her a very homeless teen in a city in which we had no relatives or safety nets whatsoever making her truly a product of the streets on her complete own, with strangers for mercy.  She created hospital and ambulance bills to meet her medical needs.  They kicked her out on the streets for acting/talking badly.  She was acting out.. acting like a bad girl, defiant.  Something that could have been dealt with in my compassionate, real world of people in a much more creative way.  In my honest opinion, that was a very horrible, destructive way of dealing with that situation.  It was inhuman.  In ruins.You can call it bitterness, or you can call it awareness, reality.  It feels like bitterness, but I know it was oh, so real.
-----Original Message-----
From: unclescam <unclescam@buskers.org>
To: Lucinda Houston <lucy@efn.org>
Date: Sunday, January 07, 2001 11:52 AM
Subject: Re: [Hpn] CITY DENIES REQUEST FOR TEMPORARY PERMIT FOR HOMELESS CAMP
 seems that your argument needs a lawyer. are you in court over this equal protection deal. it certainly seems you've made the class issue clear.

Lucinda Houston wrote:

 ``we felt that
we simply could not approve housing that fails to meet our most
minimal housing standards'' Rick Krochalis, director of the
city's Department of Design I think the person who stated this is not in touch with reality and/or is knowingly stating that he'd rather the homeless camping population and would-be campers scatter and fare the best way possible, without the stability and relative safety of an organized campsite.I think he'd better revoke the license of any county campgrounds in his area as being unsafe and less than minimum in standard for sleeping and temporary shelter, otherwise it might seem as if he is discriminating against the homeless population and causing them to suffer whereas he has no problem with "middle class" camping for families and individuals as being acceptable.  His disparaging comments clearly indicate that his regard for humans in the state of homelessness is low and that he feels the homeless are inferior as humans and not deserving of the luxury of an organized campground.  I guess the homeless have no voice as humans because of this regard (money talks, moneyless is an invitation for abuse and slights because you are only sub-human and stripped of honor and dignity without it).So, the bottom line is "So, we'll fail you, even if this is what you think you want and what would make you comfortable and more organized.  we would rather you have less than the least in standard.  That is our statement, our regard, and our concern for you".
--------------AE111B23FFCA5EBB90C5DA9D--