[Hpn] CITY DENIES REQUEST FOR TEMPORARY PERMIT FOR HOMELESS CAMP

Lucinda Houston lucy@efn.org
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 12:42:03 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_0057_01C078A7.3C41F140

I considered not sending it, unclescam, because of some silly rules I =
keep hearing about speaking positive and no negative reporting.  I write =
out of my feeling and my perception of reality.  I have a unique =
perception that comes right from below and at the very bottom and I =
recall vividly the despair and fear I felt being there.  I recall each =
thing that helped me and promoted me, my spirits, my hope, my faith, my =
"Just for today" well being and safety.  I remember the things that =
helped trip me and bring me lower and had a negative and destructive =
impact on my frail being.  (When you're down there and are void of means =
of helping yourself.. it is very real and scary.. nowhere to get it, but =
make do, make do, and pray for each day).
I would say I wouldn't wish it on anybody, but I have sincerely wished =
it on somebody.  I wished it on my caseworker at the time, and still do =
with no retraction whatsoever, because I wanted her to know the real =
horror, fear and torture of living in this situation.  She gave me so =
little, and smiled as I watched my life go down the drain, losing my =
credit (my good credit), taking my minor daughter immediately off our =
medical card after Family Shelter kicked my baby out at age 13, making =
her a very homeless teen in a city in which we had no relatives or =
safety nets whatsoever making her truly a product of the streets on her =
complete own, with strangers for mercy.  She created hospital and =
ambulance bills to meet her medical needs.  They kicked her out on the =
streets for acting/talking badly.  She was acting out.. acting like a =
bad girl, defiant.  Something that could have been dealt with in my =
compassionate, real world of people in a much more creative way.  In my =
honest opinion, that was a very horrible, destructive way of dealing =
with that situation.  It was inhuman.  In ruins.
You can call it bitterness, or you can call it awareness, reality.  It =
feels like bitterness, but I know it was oh, so real.