[Hpn] CITY DENIES REQUEST FOR TEMPORARY PERMIT FOR HOMELESS CAMP

Lucinda Houston lucy@efn.org
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 11:45:17 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_0032_01C0789F.4E969B00

``we felt that
we simply could not approve housing that fails to meet our most
minimal housing standards'' =20

Rick Krochalis, director of the
city's Department of Design

I think the person who stated this is not in touch with reality and/or =
is knowingly stating that he'd rather the homeless camping population =
and would-be campers scatter and fare the best way possible, without the =
stability and relative safety of an organized campsite.
I think he'd better revoke the license of any county campgrounds in his =
area as being unsafe and less than minimum in standard for sleeping and =
temporary shelter, otherwise it might seem as if he is discriminating =
against the homeless population and causing them to suffer whereas he =
has no problem with "middle class" camping for families and individuals =
as being acceptable.  His disparaging comments clearly indicate that his =
regard for humans in the state of homelessness is low and that he feels =
the homeless are inferior as humans and not deserving of the luxury of =
an organized campground.  I guess the homeless have no voice as humans =
because of this regard (money talks, moneyless is an invitation for =
abuse and slights because you are only sub-human and stripped of honor =
and dignity without it).
So, the bottom line is "So, we'll fail you, even if this is what you =
think you want and what would make you comfortable and more organized.  =
we would rather you have less than the least in standard.  That is our =
statement, our regard, and our concern for you".

------=_NextPart_000_0032_01C0789F.4E969B00

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.00.2314.1000" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>``we felt that<BR>we simply could not approve =
housing that=20
fails to meet our most<BR>minimal housing standards''&nbsp;</FONT><FONT=20
size=3D2>&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Rick Krochalis, director of the<BR>city's Department =
of=20
Design</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I think the person who stated this&nbsp;is not in =
touch with=20
reality and/or&nbsp;is knowingly stating that he'd rather&nbsp;the =
homeless=20
camping population and would-be&nbsp;campers&nbsp;scatter and fare the =
best way=20
possible,&nbsp;without the stability and relative safety of an organized =

campsite.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I think he'd better revoke the license of any county =

campgrounds in his area as being unsafe and less than minimum in=20
standard&nbsp;for sleeping and temporary shelter, otherwise it might =
seem as if=20
he is discriminating against the homeless population and causing them to =
suffer=20
whereas he&nbsp;has no problem with "middle class" camping for families =
and=20
individuals as being&nbsp;acceptable.&nbsp; His disparaging comments =
clearly=20
indicate that&nbsp;his regard for humans in the state of homelessness is =
low and=20
that he feels the homeless are inferior as humans and not deserving of =
the=20
luxury of an organized campground.&nbsp; I guess the homeless have no =
voice as=20
humans because of this regard (money talks, moneyless is an invitation =
for abuse=20
and slights because you are only sub-human and stripped of honor and =
dignity=20
without it).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>So, the bottom line is "So, we'll fail you, even if =
this is=20
what you think you want and what would make you comfortable and more=20
organized.&nbsp; we would rather you have less than the least in =
standard.&nbsp;=20
That is our statement, our regard, and our concern for=20
you".</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0032_01C0789F.4E969B00--