[Hpn] re, homeless uk

bill.cannon bill.cannon@btinternet.com
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 16:08:56 -0000

------=_NextPart_000_0030_01C078C4.22F9E720

 not being in your part of the world I dont know how
homelessness is regarded. But over here it is the lowest form of life =
this
country seems to be obsessed with the fact that nearly everyone who is
homeless is on drugs or are chronic alcoholics. It is generally felt =
that
homeless people are lacking in some form of education. I was homeless =
for a
number of years and until recently was working in a hostel where I was =
once
a resident, needless to say this did not go down very well with some of =
the
staff, as they were of the opinion that I was not capable of being =
neutral
if there was a confrontation with staff and residents what they couldnt
understand was the relationship I develope is built on trust and =
regarding
everyone as equal. I tried to apply it to my job but was not allowed to =
as
they felt I had to keep at a distance from residents to avoid placing =
myself
in a compromising position. How on earth can you help someone if you =
cant
get them to trust you. England has a lot to learn the proof is there for =
all
to see the numbers are not very much different to what they were ten =
years
ago, yet a lot of money has been used to try and solve the problem. Soon =
begin another voluntary job as a mentor to homeless people this is more =
of a
one to one maybe by going in this direction I can help in some way. =
Sorry
for going on but Ifeel so strongly about this when you see something is =
not
quite right you feel so frustrated when you cant help especially when no =
one
will listen just becauase you were 'one of them' which is the expression =
used
here. Yours, Bill
bill.cannon@btinternet.com