[Hpn] Re: Steroetypes Encourage Murder of Homeless People? Your Opinion?

Tyedye38@aol.com Tyedye38@aol.com
Sat, 6 Jan 2001 05:01:27 EST

I just read, HoboMatt's repy on this subject.  I felt I must share my
opinion.  Two years ago, in Santa Cruz, California, "homeless bashing" was
occuring almost on a daily basis.  Most of the homeless that were being
targeted was the elderly, the sick, the ones with casts---all in all, the
ones who appeared weaker.  The bashing was being done by some of the more
affluent youth of Santa Cruz.  There would be three or four of these young
people that would go around, looking under bridges, behind alleys and other
places, seeking out homeless people.  They would beat them up terribly, some
having to be hospitalized, with some dying.  I do beleive that just being a
homeless person, does stereotype you amongest the "normies".  While some of
the normies have compassion for the homeless, there are others, who, would
like to see homeless people, cease to exist.  In my opinion, they feel that
homeless people are criminals, running from the law, have no one that cares
about them, that they do not care about themselves, that all homeless people
are "panhandlers", who simply want to "freeload" off of society.  I think
that for those reasonings, these senseless acts of terrorizing the homeless
happen, by the vigilantes made up of the "normies".  I must say, that when
this was happening in Santa Cruz, some of us homeless that were younger and
in good health, went around checking to see that people were alright.
Basically, we wanted to find these young kids who were doing the damage.  We
never found them.  I hope the same is still not happening in Santa Cruz, but,
I do know that it is happening somewhere at this moment, which is too sad to
think.        ~tyedye~