[Hpn] Dignity Village Update

Remona Cowles remona@portland.quik.com
Fri, 05 Jan 2001 17:07:32 -0800

--Boundary_(ID_wRy4PzeCBy32UdxxQNQ1DA)

Portland, Oregon
January 5, 2001
Dignity Village Update:

Dignity Village, this country's first fully mobile tent city here in =
Portland, Oregon, USA enters into the third week of its existence on its =
third site. We are presently located on a grassy triangle of ODOT =
(Oregon Department of Transport) land next to the Morrison Bridge. =
Shopping cart parades are our stock in trade, our "Burnside Cadillacs," =
as shopping carts are locally known, were seen by millions of viewers =
across the US and Canada the day after Christmas in a parade led and =
marshalled by our number one soldier John Reese, a double-amputee =
Vietnam-era vet in his wheelchair, when we were cruelly driven from our =
second site by ODOT and the Portland Police. Dignity Village now has =
several cell phones. Our phone number is (503) 347 9831. We have a =
Port-O-Let, light, heat and we are presently building a cookshack. We =
now have a camp truck. We have a legal team, support teams, an outreach =
team, a site-selection team and a press release machine. We have come a =
long way from the doorways, parking lots, from under the bridges and on =
the mission floors where many of us formerly lived and we are not going =
back. As far as we are concerned, we have solved the problem of =
affordable living space which continually climbs beyond the reach of =
poor people in this country. It is called nylon and it comes in the form =
of tents. We say, "Two, three, many tent cities!"=20

Last night Dignity Village held its first tumultous village =
organizational meeting. Thank you Paul and Shira of Portland Copwatch =
for the use of your loud hailer. Some of us are hard of hearing, some of =
us soft-spoken, there is a lot of background noise at our present site =
and it is essential that the voice of each and every one of us be heard. =
It was decided that these meetings will take place at least twice and =
possibly three times a week to allow us to hammer out the form of good =
rule and governance that the village will eventually live by. Much was =
accomplished and much remains to be done. We are growing at an =
exponential rate which clearly demonstrates the need that our tent city =
satisfies. We have many problems of logistics and mobility that must be =
quickly dealt with for our very survival as an entity. We have many good =
and committed soldiers and supporters, our support steadily grows in the =
community as a whole.=20

Much love and respect to all. There is only one direction in which we =
can go and that is ever forward. Tafari.=20

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Dignity Village
http://www.poorpeoplesguide.org
street roots,
. . . for those who can't afford free speech.
http://www.streetroot.org

--Boundary_(ID_wRy4PzeCBy32UdxxQNQ1DA)

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff><FONT face=3DArial size=3D3>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>Portland, Oregon</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>January 5, 2001</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>
<P><FONT size=3D3>Dignity Village Update:</FONT>
<P>Dignity Village, this country's first fully mobile tent city here in=20
Portland, Oregon, USA enters into the third week of its existence on its =
third=20
site. We are presently located on a grassy triangle of ODOT (Oregon =
Department=20
of Transport) land next to the Morrison Bridge. Shopping cart parades =
are our=20
stock in trade, our "Burnside Cadillacs," as shopping carts are locally =
known,=20
were seen by millions of viewers across the US and Canada the day after=20
Christmas in a parade led and marshalled by our number one soldier John =
Reese, a=20
double-amputee Vietnam-era vet in his wheelchair, when we were cruelly =
driven=20
from our second site by ODOT and the Portland Police. Dignity Village =
now has=20
several cell phones. Our phone number is (503) 347 9831. We have a =
Port-O-Let,=20
light, heat and we are presently building a cookshack. We now have a =
camp truck.=20
We have a legal team, support teams, an outreach team, a site-selection =
team and=20
a press release machine. We have come a long way from the doorways, =
parking=20
lots, from under the bridges and on the mission floors where many of us =
formerly=20
lived and we are not going back. As far as we are concerned, we have =
solved the=20
problem of affordable living space which continually climbs beyond the =
reach of=20
poor people in this country. It is called nylon and it comes in the form =
of=20
tents. We say, "Two, three, many tent cities!"=20
<P>Last night Dignity Village held its first tumultous village =
organizational=20
meeting. Thank you Paul and Shira of Portland Copwatch for the use of =
your loud=20
hailer. Some of us are hard of hearing, some of us soft-spoken, there is =
a lot=20
of background noise at our present site and it is essential that the =
voice of=20
each and every one of us be heard. It was decided that these meetings =
will take=20
place at least twice and possibly three times a week to allow us to =
hammer out=20
the form of good rule and governance that the village will eventually =
live by.=20
Much was accomplished and much remains to be done. We are growing at an=20
exponential rate which clearly demonstrates the need that our tent city=20
satisfies. We have many problems of logistics and mobility that must be =
quickly=20
dealt with for our very survival as an entity. We have many good and =
committed=20
soldiers and supporters, our support steadily grows in the community as =
a whole.=20

<P>Much love and respect to all. There is only one direction in which we =
can go=20
and that is ever forward. Tafari. </P></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D<BR>Dignity Village</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><A=20
href=3D"http://www.poorpeoplesguide.org">http://www.poorpeoplesguide.org<=
/A></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>street roots,<BR>. . . for those who can't afford =
free=20
speech.<BR>http://www.streetroot.org</FONT></DIV>
<DIV></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_wRy4PzeCBy32UdxxQNQ1DA)--