[Hpn] STEREOTYPES encourage MURDER of homeless people? Your opinion?

HOBOMATT@aol.com HOBOMATT@aol.com
Fri, 05 Jan 2001 19:10:48 -0500 (EST)

wgcp@earthlink.net writes:

<< Do "negative stereotypes" encourage vigilantes to murder homeless people?
 Why or why not? >>

Over the last twenty years or so in Colorado Springs, the vast majority of
"homeless murders" has the victim being killed by his/her "friends" or peers.
The usuall scenerio is a group of people sitting round a fire drinking,
sheltering in an abandoned house, or walking along the river and a dispute
turns lethal. I don't believe that "negative stereotypes" encourage
vigilantes to seek out and harm homeless people (as a rule). I DO believe
these stereotypes lead to less concerned police investigation, after the
fact, as the the victim was "just a transient".
Matt Parkhouse, RN
Colorado Springs, CO