[Hpn] Fwd: [PRISONACT] Fwd: Casa Segura Arsoned - Please Respond!!!

Graeme Bacque graeme.bacque@3web.net
Fri, 05 Jan 2001 17:02:34 -0500

--=======48CC7724=======

--=====================_3224627==_.ALT

------------forwarded message------------
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 13:33:57 -0800
To: prisonact-list@prisonactivist.org
From: Judy Greenspan <jgreensp@uclink4.berkeley.edu>
Subject: [PRISONACT] Fwd: Casa Segura Arsoned - Please Respond!!!

This is from Allan Clear of the Harm Reduction Coalition

Folks:
Oakland's Casa Segura was destroyed by an arson attack on New Year's Eve.
Everything was lost. Casa Segura is a major harm reduction agency and ran a
high volume needle exchange program. Reasons for the attack are speculative
but the agency was experiencing opposition from local business leaders.
This attack also immediately raises the specter of vigilante and right-wing
attacks carried out against abortion clinics. Let us hope this is an
isolated incident but we are all vulnerable. We are less vulnerable if we
respond. We should send a message to the Mayor of Oakland Jerry Brown that
we want him to get fully behind an investigation into this attack. He can
be reached at:

Mayor: Jerry Brown

One Frank Ogawa Plaza
(One City Hall Plaza)
3rd Floor
Oakland, California 94612
Telephone: 510-238-3141
Fax: 510-238-4731
TDD: 510-238-3724
officeofthemayor@oaklandnet.com

I sent off this message so feel free to improve upon it. But do it now,
right now, before crucial evidence is lost.

"Mayor Brown,

On New Year's Eve, Oakland's Casa Segura suffered an arson attack and has
lost everything. Casa Segura has a national reputation as a model
innovative HIV/drug services agency that offers resources and support to
some of Oakland's most underreached and underserved residents. You are very
much a "people's" leader. This is an attack on the people you are now
serving the most closely. I understand that there are excellent arson
investigators available and I'm sure a comprehensive investigation is fully
underway. However I urge you to take a personal interest in this heinous
and cowardly attack and to make every attempt to bring the perpetrators to
justice.

There is a Health Department Press Conference at the Casa Segura Parking
Lot, 3229 San Leandro Bld, (Cross Street at Fruitvale. Entrance on other
side off the tracks) next Monday, January 8, at 10:30 AM. It would be a
significant step if you could attend this press conference to underline the
seriousness of this attack. Sincerely..."

If you're local and can attend the press conference, please show up.

Casa Segura now needs money. Donations can be sent to: HEPPAC, PO Box 7522,
Oakland, CA, 94601. You can still call Chris Catchpool and Casa Segura at:
510-332-3757

An attack on one is an attack on all. Please respond.

Allan Clear
Executive Director
Harm Reduction Coalition
22 W 27th St, 5th Fl
NY, NY 10001
Tel: 212 213-6376
Fax: 212 213-6582
<http://www.harmreduction.org>
"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then
you win."

--=====================_3224627==_.ALT-- --=======48CC7724======= Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; x-avg-checked=avg-ok-58647CAD --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.225 / Virus Database: 107 - Release Date: 12/22/00 --=======48CC7724=======--